289 HiPo Air Cleaner Decal?

• I was going to install the 289 HiPo air cleaner decal and Cobra powered by Ford decals today. I have two of each and noticed that the HiPo decal is of two versions. On one, the High Performance letters are thinner than the other one and the white blocks of the checkered flag areas are larger than the other one. The decal with the thicker letters also has the 289 in larger format. Anyone know which decal might be closer to the originals? Randy

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 09/13/2007 20:39:56

• Originals had the Ford part# in very small print in the lower right hand corner of the decal, that would be another thing to check for on yours.

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Forgot to mention, the decals are repro. Just thought I would put on the one that looks the closest to original. Randy

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Some of the better repops do have the engineering# like originals did, that's what I was trying to say. The ones Jim Cowles sells even have the cellophane top layer and are really nice IMHO. Other vendors may carry these as well.

Dave
    6S1757

• Does anyone know which other vendors sell the decal with the thin plastic covering on it. Is it an exclusive of Jim Cowles or do others sell the same decals?

• I have seen several reproduction versions of these with Ford part numbers on them. I have not seen one of Jim Cowles versions but they sound like they are as close to authentic as you can get.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• That Jim Cowles decal in your picture is very sharp. I should probably get some for my own Kars.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• One decal is close to the close up photo, but no part number. Has the thicker print lettering and deeper orange color. I would post the photos, but don't know how. Can someone guide me through the process? Randy

• I emailed them and they said they had them ($. They also have the Autolite Spark Plug decals (curved & straight), and Use Genuine FoMoCo Parts decals. I am asking them now how to order since these decals are not listed on their website.

• Hi Bob,

A question for you:

When did Ford change to the curved Autolite Spark plug decal

from the straight one on the HiPo/Shelby air cleaner lids?

All magazines from 1965 showing 65 Shelbys have a straight

decal. Original pictures from Shelby cars made in the end of March 65

have the straight ones. I traded for a complete air cleaner, Ford boxed, including lid, base dated 6A and filter. The lid has a straight Autolite Spark plug decal. Was there a difference between

different plants maybe.

Thanks for your help.

/Bo

• Actually, the curved ones have been around since the 289 HiPo was introduced. Our 1963-64 Fairlane HiPos have the curved decal. The straight ones seemed to show up for 1965 production. When the 289 decals were put on the top, the Autolite decal was moved to the side and was straight.

I don't have much information on what was happening to the Mustang air cleaners. Both decals were in the supply system at the time. However, many more straight ones for the standard 289 would have been circulating. Could be whatever was handy was used, but the curved ones are more aesthetically pleasing and probably why they came to be more in favor. But, it appears that both were used.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

All magazines from 1965 showing 65 Shelbys have a straight

decal. Original pictures from Shelby cars made in the end of March 65

have the straight ones.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Typically magazine pictures don't provide very solid reference points IMHO

Cars were typically played with or prepped

BTW how did you determine the magazine car was built in March?

IS this Mark's car (often used for many of the pictures?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!