fastback screw covers

• Where can I find a proper screw cover for the fastback ?

They had five, but if I can get even one, I think I can figure out how to have a full set made.

• Another good source for these covers was the early 60's Comets and Falcons. They were used inside the trunk to cover the side trim screws. I got several handfulls off a Comet in a junk yard a couple of years ago.

Randy

• They are actual #10 self treading nuts. Ford part# 375690-S they are injection molded polyproplene. AMK on-line catalog has some stamped nuts page#68 part# B-12946, with the proper paint color they might look close enough to the original plastic ones???

• There's a guy who has reproduced these and is selling a few on Ebay. Apparently he has made several hundred sets and is "testing the waters" to see what the response is. Spendy but they look really nice.

Ebay Link

Dave
    6S1757

• They look OK to me, but since I never had them, I don't know if they're correct...Charles?....grey or white opaque?

I thought there were five to a set???

....Charles???

• I don't have an assembly manual handy but a friend of mine told me it shows only three/car on the center three screws. The two end screws are apparently far enough to the sides the protectors weren't needed. This is what I was told and why the guy is selling three/set.

Can someone please confirm whether you need three or five?

Gary, these are for the screws that hold the molding piece above the trap door on which protrude into the trunk compartment. They go over those screw ends to cover the sharp tips.

Dave
    6S1757

• By the way, keep in mind that my camera did not capture the 5th one which was there. This clearly shows that there was an "extra" one on the right side, which proves there were more than 3. I think that car has something like 20k original miles. Original paint.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Yes, they are the right design. The gray ones were usually used on San Jose cars. There are normally 5 per car.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Charles I've seen plenty of opaque ones on 65 San Jose fastbacks. Change seems to be sometime in 66 from the ones I've seen

As for 3 or 5? I've seen it both ways on original cars. Though the assembly manual shows only three the page may indicate that was the change the page was produced to illustrate. Or not (the problem IMHO with the manual).

Just received a handful of the reproductions. Look pretty good. The "white opaque" ones are a little yellow to me but both those and the grey ones details are a little soft - just not as sharp in detail. Glad to see someone making them. Got to check with him to see how he want to be contacted for sales

It is my belief that the quick inspection that they will receive at a show (maybe a 2 second look) these will pass inspection.

Edited by - J_Speegle on 12/16/2006 00:23:06

• I know these are very hard to get and having a concourse fastback, well you just got to have these as a final touch to a detailed trunk compartment. I will have an ample supply of these at the end of the month (March). interested folks, e-mail me just as a point of interest. I will not be taking orders as of yet, but this will help me determine just how many folks have the need and interest. I will also have them available for West Coast shows. Cost for five estimated to be 15.00 plus shipping. (subject to change) Happy Mustang'ing.

• I bought a set of five from the ebay link above. They appear to be nice enough, but I paid more than what mmv is asking. Although shipping was free (or minimal?) I think I paid about $35.

• Charles, I appreciate the good comments. I just want to help the hobby, especially all the Fastback owners who want to take the next step with showing their cars.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!