About to Kommit Power Steering Heresy

• My wife of 30 years had always wanted a 65 or 66 red convertible Mustang. So 4 years ago I arrange to give her a surprise birthday gift of a 65 Rangoon red convertible. So I figure, hell, as long as I'm going this far let's make it a K code (I can call it an "investment"). It's a great kar and she loves it. HOWEVER, she really struggles with the manual steering. Frankly, I know she would drive the kar more often if it was not so hard for her to steer. The four speed is no sweat. So I would like to konvert it to power steering. Any opinions or experience out there doing this? Any systems you guys would recommend? I know this sounds idiotic but I would like it to look stock & not have to chop the Kar up. Any other issues for me to consider? Thanks so much guys. Bill in Toledo

• skinnier tires, weight lifting program for the wife, a different car...I would not put power steering in an old 'stang like a Konvertible.

• <font face='Comic Sans MS'>I'd say go with a power rack & pinion unit/kit. There are aftermarket bolt-in units for about 2K that attach to the under side of the frame, replacing that brace under the oil pan. No welding of any sort required. A friend has planted a non-pwr rack & pinion under his '67 big block car at least a year and a half back, and is nothing short of totally satisfied with the outcome. The aftermarket systems do as a rule use the long steering rod shaft out of your current manual setup and it has to be cut in the process. Other than that, I'm not aware of any other mods that can't be reversed.

You certainly can go with a factory setup but rounding up the necessary components can/will be a pain in the arse unless you have access to a donor car. But why do that and end up with 1965 sloppy, instead of the better performing rack unit. </font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://s4.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

• I put the Borgeson retro-fit PS box in my daughter's '66 - works GREAT. A big improvement over the sloppy original worn out box and NO LEAKS down below!

You have to cut down the original steering column - I did this to save money on a kids car.

You also have to use the manual steering linkage - an extra cost for me since I pulled out the original PS stuff.

If money isn't a major issue I'd also go with an Ididit tilt column instead of cutting down the original - saves on some of the Borgeson part cost, will make the install go much faster, and will give you tilt.

You will still be way cheaper than a rack & pinion set up.

Borgeson kit using '93 Ford pump from EFI motor in the car ran me about $800 - new everything. Borgeson stuff was about $750 and I added a new part store pump so everything was new. I only had to modify one end of the pressure hose to fit the Ford pump - parts store did this for $20. I grafted a Ford hose pump end onto the Borgeson hose. I'm not including the $250 I spent to replace the steering linkage.

Go to http://www.borgeson.com for details. I think I may have some photos too if you are interested in this swap.

The Ididit column would be an extra $400-$600 depending upon where you buy it and which version you get. But defintely worth it. This is what I would do next time.

If you are interested in the original set up I have most everything you need all pulled off my daughters '66 - sitting in a box. I'll make you a hell of a deal on it. The only thing I don't have is the original pump - I have the pump bracket, but installed a '93 GT EFI motor in the car and adapted the later style pump to the original Ford system. System worked and didn't leak - once I rebuilt the control valve. Big issue was the original worm type steering box - it was SHOT!

Send me an email if you are interested - I can send you photos of everything.

Edited by - RalphJr on 01/19/2011 18:15:01

• Bill, I worked for a Mustang shop in the 1980's and we put power steering on two K code convertibles. We used the stock Mustang V-8 setup with one exception. The harmonic balancer had to be machined to allow the two sheeve lower pulley to fit. An easy way around this would be to by one of the Cobra Automotive repro parts and have it machined and match balanced to your original balancer. Another option instead of machining the balancer would be to use the lower pulley from a 1967 GT350, and use the 67 and later style pump and brackets.

Joe

• Thanks for the great replys, guys. To 66qtk - weight lifting program, hmmm..... you may have something there. Sounds like the cheapest route; $300 gym membership. I'll consider that.

Ralph Jr - thank you. Your daughter's car was, obviously, not a K kode. I note GT Joe's replay about the harmonic balancer issue. I wonder how the Borgeson unit would work around that. Any thoughts? I'll check their web site and probably call them too.

I'm going to have the engine out of the car for some other work, so if I'm going to power steering, this is probably the time to do it.

Thanks. Bill G.

• In regards to power steering on a K code, I put power steering on several of my K codes over 25 years ago. I still have one that is setup that way and I am going to add it to my other two K codes as well. GT Joe is correct that the inner diameter of the balancer needs to be machined. It is not a complicated operation and most any machine shop can perform it. It is only a very slight cut, cannot be seen and will not affect the balance of the engine. This is definitely much easier and less expensive than buying a repro balancer and match balancing it. If you have Fords replacement C8ZE balancer, it is already the proper size. The rest of the Mustang power steering setup is all the same. Your HCC-AX steering gear box is the same ratio as the power steering box so there is no issue there.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Bill,

Yes my daughters car was just an A code - found it in a barn - it is a highly optioned A code and did have an original 8 grand Rally Pac installed. My heart skipped a beat when I first looked at it because I saw the Rally Pac first and thought it MIGHT be a K code! Not quite THAT lucky! But I did get a correct Rally-Pac for my K code out of the deal and made some great father/daughter memories putting the car together for her!

The balancer issue will have to be resolved regardless of any PS system you use - because you need to add a different lower pulley to add a belt groove to drive the PS pump.

This is the same issue people face when they try to add AC to the K code motor. They have to change the lower crank drive pulley and very few fit the original HiPo balancer.

The original K code balancer has a smaller inner diameter for the pulley "lip" than other balancers and has to be opened up a little.

Fred offers a good solution - use the Ford replacement hipo balancer rather than the original - it will work and sounds like Ford corrected the diameter issue. With this change you can use almost any FoMoCo small block multi-groove crank pulley as long as the grooves line up, are the correct belt width, and the diameter is OK. I think the best fit will be a regular '65 /'66 multi-groove lower pulley - and should be easy to find - but I'm definitely not an expert on pulley stuff. Fred is a great resource for questions like this.

I can check and see if I have the '66 crank pulley if you want. Not sure since the motor was gone from the car when I pulled it from the barn. I did get a big box of stuff - I know the PS bracket is in there, not sure about the crank pulley.

Edited by - RalphJr on 01/20/2011 13:32:32

• Wow, great help from Fred & Ralph Jr. If I understand you guys correctly, you're suggesting the "stock 65/66 Ford" power steering set up along with the newer balancer? Now, to find a stock set up - I notice Kar Mustang sells what looks to me like a stock set up. Of course I should call them; I've spoken with George several times and bought stuff from them. Unless you guys suggest another source? Maybe Kar Mustang's set up is not the "stock" version.

Fred (I've bought some things from you too), hearing that you have actually converted to power steering gives me more confidence in the idea. Thanks so much.

Bill G.

• I just want to clarify my statement about the balancer issue. My first choice, and the one that I always use is to use your existing balancer by merely machining out the inner diameter to fit the pulley. It is far less expensive and does not require buying another balancer or rebalancing. The C8ZE balancer is only a great alternative if you already have one on the engine. If you had to purchase a C8ZE balancer and match balance it to your engine, it would not be cost effective. The machining is so slight that even when the balancer is off of the engine and in your hands, it is tough to see that it was even done.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Bill - you are correct - I forgot about the issue with the linkage. The Borgeson box is much bigger at the top than the original box.

Didn't impact my daughters car because it is an AOD now.

Sorry I didn't remember that.

• Hey Fred; I'm with you. Retain my original balancer and have it machined to allow the correct pulley.

Any further recommendations on locating the Ford stock powering steering set up? Thank you.

Bill G.

• E-bay, some Mustang Stores (NPD) and junk yards. You need the center link, pump bracket, pump and pullys. Almost everything else (hoses, rebuild kits, tie rod ends, ram, ram bracket) is available from Mustang stores. The hard part may be to install the nut inserts in the frame for the ram bracket. I'm replacing the 64 setup on my 65 GT ("A" code) so I almost started from where you are.

Jim

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!