Another K-NUT onboard

• I live way up in northern WV, near Pittsburgh and have been a small block Ford guy since way back in the 60's. Anybody remember the 289 HIPO powered custom Corvette that was in a lot of magazines back in the mid 70's? That was me. I still have the Corvette and all the Ford drivetrain too. I have been "hoarding" Mustang parts for years and I still haven't made up my mind what to do with all this "stuff" I have had a bunch of Mustangs over the years, (several K's, even a ragtop automatic!!!), but do not own one right now, unless you can count the '65 GT I have all the parts to put back together except the body. It was so rusted out that I dissasembled the whole car and scraped the rusting hulk. Oh yea, I still have 2 K engines. One is pretty radical with Crane Super Port flow heads and a roller, but the other one is bone stock and complete. I could go on for hours about Fords. Does your group ever have any get-togethers?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I live way up in northern WV, near Pittsburgh and have been a small block Ford guy since way back in the 60's...I could go on for hours about Fords. Does your group ever have any get-togethers?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Thanks for signing up and posting here...

Yes, forum members often get together at MCA National shows, local car shows, cruises, and sometimes in more informal ways, just for the fun of it...In June, 2008, we are hoping to get a dozen or so K code cars to register for a <i>289 High Performance Reunion</i> at the All Fords Nationals at Carlisle. If enough cars pre-register, there will be a seperate class on the showfield for our cars. Maybe you can plan on going, and meet some of the people from this website.

• Hi Bob and welcome to the forum. The get togethers are usually at shows that we discuss here. HIPOVETTE....has a nice ring to it! Do you have a low profile 8k rally pac? Thanks, Ed

• LOL, I'll bet that hipo vette made a few heads turn in its day when it walked away from the chevy powered cars. Got any pics?

Since this is an internet forum there are members from all over the globe. We try to meet up whenever and wherever we can but has been difficult to get more than 4-5 K's together in one spot. The most I've seen in one place was at the 40th in Nashville and at MCA's 30th at Birmingham. As much as I'd like to make Carlisle it's just to far away. Hopefully we can get a large gathering of k's at the 45th.

Welcome to the forum!

• Thanks for the friendly welcome. I will have to figure out a way to scan these old magazines for the pictures. That is true about the BowTie guys reactions to the "CobraVette" It was hilarious just standing by the car and listening to comments. Some of them I cannot repeat without getting kicked off the forum!!! There seemed to be no middle ground, everyone either loved it, or hated it!!! I even heard nasty comments about my parents!!! One thing for sure, If you swap a FORD motor into a chevy, you better make it a screamer. No better engine than a HIPO to start with!!! I made a believer out of a bunch of the locals with it. I tore it apart back in 1976 to put in a supercharged BOSS 429, and it has been in pieces for the last 31 years. Believe that or not!!! Someday when I grow up maybe I will have time to get it back together again.

A Carlisle get together would be great for me. I can fly over there in about 8o minutes. I have an old bicycle that I made collapsable and it fits in the back of my plane. I have pedalled to the fairgrounds before. It's all pretty level. No big hills.

Sorry, I have no rally pacs. I didn't like them back "In the day". I needed a big tach up on the dash.

It sure does feel good to be able to comunicate with guys of the same interests.

Bob

• I only wish I had a SKYRAIDER. Maybe in my past life. This time around I own an old Skylane, (C-182), and fly out of KHLG. It is a 1964 model and often thought about doing pictures with the '64 Skylane and the '64 Fairlane, (which I don't have yet,) together. That would be awsum. The Skylane does not have a Ford engine, but it is a 470 cube Continental. That's as close as I could get to a Ford!!! I used to have a '64 Fairlane, (non HIPO,) but I sold it years ago.

Sorry, no jack for sale.

Bob

• Good memory Chuck. It was,(and still is,) a very 70'ish paintjob. White pearl base with blue scallops and blue cobwebbing. I have scanned some of the magazine pictures and am trying to add them to a post here on this forum without much success.

Bob

• Bob, you are using the forum link with thumbnails. Those links contain php code which does not display properly with this forum software. You should be using the DIRECT link at the very bottom... then they will look like this when you post them (the first one is really to large, should be no larger than 640 pixels wide for posting in the forum):

[Blocked Image: http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/24/cobravette2zz3.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img146.imageshack.us/img146/3891/cobravette1am2.jpg]

Edited by - 66KGT on 12/19/2007 15:54:02

• I at one time in the 70's met up with a 64 Vette that had a 426 stage 3 Ramcharger engine in it. The owner had me guess the type of engine from listening to the starter as Chrysler uses a double reduction starter that sounds totally different. I certainly did not expect a cross breed in a Corvette so I did not guess it correctly. I'll bet that you surprised a lot of people with your 289.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• It surprised everyone that saw it. Most were happily surprised and others questioned my sanity!!! I got just as big a kick out of the ones that didn't like as I did the ones that did. There weren't many in-be-tweeners. Either loved it or hated it!!!! I even had guys ask me how I made the Cobra valve covers fit a 327!!! Idling around the parking lot, you could tell it wasn't just a another bowtie!!!

I need to light a fire under my butt and get this thing back on the road!!! It has been apart for 31 years. These pics are from 1976!!!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!