• None of the housings that I currently have as bare housings, have that tin piece inside. I have several that have not been taken apart that may have that piece as I have seen it before. Chuck is probably right on the oil deflector.

Could the 9 possibly for the data plate code for a 4:11 rear gear?

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• The data plate indicates a 3:50 open,

although I don’t believe it’s original to the Kar. It is a June built Dearborn Kar, the pinion support is 5B15 an the third member is 5B2 an I think it’s an Trac Loc Posi. so no way original to the Kar. When machinist was working on engine he thought the Kar was used for drag racing, it had triple valve springs an some other modifications according to him. This may account for the Trac-Loc, but the number 9 in the housing is still a mystery.

Relicdog

• My October 64 Dearborn K fastback has its original 3:50 rear end and I found the same 9 or 6 inside the housing, but no oil deflector.20190704_115421.jpg

65 K Code Fastback - 5F09K3253XX, Oct. '64, Vintage Burg, Rally Pac, Original Arvinode Exhaust car, lots of '64 items on the car from the factory.

66 A Code GT Coupe - 4 speed, bench seat, P/S, A/C, Rally Pac, 8 track

66 A Code Fastback -Built 302, Real 66 S2MS Intake, WC T-5, 4-wheel Wilwoods, locking 9"

66 T Code Coupe

Jan 65 T Code fastback

07 Shelby GT (Vortech Supercharged)

63 406 Tri-Power 4-speed Galaxie

• After drawing an 6 an a 9 on a piece of paper, I’ve come to the conclusion it’s definitely an 6, my nine looks totally different than the number on the housing, but my six looks exactly like the number on the housing, Chuck is probably right, inspector number, why some housings have oil deflectors an some don’t is a mystery.

Relicdog

• Im thinking sub assys like complete rear end were assembled at a sub plant and shipped to one of the three mustang assy plants to be installed in the vehicle chassis much like rear leaf springs and complete engine assys.

• After pulling 3rd member for rebuild,

this is what I found, number 9 not sure what the other piece is for.

That other piece is a B9A 4159 A Lubricator for a locking rear axle.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Yes Fred you hit the nail on the head, as any open rear gear i have opened up did not have one , i wonder if they are still available , it would need to be in position before the 3/8 studs were installed.

Edited once, last by chucks302 (March 18, 2022 at 2:50 AM).

• Yes Fred you hit the nail on the head, as any open rear gear i have opened up did not have pone , i wonder if they are still available , tit would need to be in position before the 3/8 studs were installed.

Based on the picture in the Ford MPC, that piece is held into the housing by two of the studs as they are installed. The piece is no longer available and there are none at any of my parts locaters.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• The housing is definitely an 65 style was the oil deflector an option back then, Fred could probably answer that, my opinion is no, it was probably added by a previous owner, like I said earlier the Kar was most likely used for drag strip, you sure wouldn’t want an open rear gear for that. I posted a long article in the old forum about this Kar at the time of purchase, I’ve rebuilt practically everything on this Kar, the third member is hopefully the last thing. A couple of pictures of the rear that came out of Kar, it’s definitely some sort of locker.

Relicdog

• The housing is definitely an 65 style was the oil deflector an option back then, Fred could probably answer that, my opinion is no, it was probably added by a previous owner, like I said earlier the Kar was most likely used for drag strip, you sure wouldn’t want an open rear gear for that. I posted a long article in the old forum about this Kar at the time of purchase, I’ve rebuilt practically everything on this Kar, the third member is hopefully the last thing. A couple of pictures of the rear that came out of Kar, it’s definitely some sort of locker.

Relicdog

The 65 Hipo was not available with a locking rear end. The locking rear end became an option in the 66 model year on a Hipo. The 66 axle housing remained of the 65 style until some time in October of 1965. Therefore that style of housing would have been available with a locking rear end in that time frame of the 66 model year.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• According to the repo. door data tag

the Kar had scheduled build date of mid. June 65, were they installing 66 housings with the 65 style then, if so that would explain the oil deflector, but the third member that I posted had a casting date of 5b2 so it’s probably not original to the Kar, I’m confused on this one.

• Yes Fred you hit the nail on the head, as any open rear gear i have opened up did not have pone , i wonder if they are still available , tit would need to be in position before the 3/8 studs were installed.

Based on the picture in the Ford MPC, that piece is held into the housing by two of the studs as they are installed. The piece is no longer available and there are none at any of my parts locaters.

-Fred-

Thanks for that info Fred, i will be looking for one at ford Carlisle this year , im thinking a later year say 67-73 9 inch oil deflector would fit the bill as the housing stud pattern is the same as a 65 ,

• According to the repo. door data tag

the Kar had scheduled build date of mid. June 65, were they installing 66 housings with the 65 style then, if so that would explain the oil deflector, but the third member that I posted had a casting date of 5b2 so it’s probably not original to the Kar, I’m confused on this one.

The rear diff you have pictured could be an equal lock which was a light duty locking rear diff .

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!