Used Rear Axle Housing

• Here is an Ebay auction for a used rear end axle housing by Ebay member "gt35067" with a Buy-It-Now of $2,500.00:

This is an original axle housing from a 1966 K-code Mustang.

This housing is in great shape.

There is no major rust issues.

The housing measures 52-3/8 inch long.

It has the large hex bolt in the back with the L marking. There is also an L paint mark on the inside.

There is some bumpy surface, but most of it appears to be slag specks from welding so it should be real easy to clean up.

The perches have been moved closer together and reinforced. They now measure 37-1/2 from center to center. They will need to be moved back to 43" center to center to be correct for your mustang.

I got this axle housing from an old time racer. He told me this axle originally came from a 1966 Mustang Group II race car. The original car was used as a parts car back in the 70's. I got several pieces from him that he said came from the original race car and his story seemed more real when he handed me a set of 31 spline axle shafts that he said were originally in this housing. 31 spline axles were only used in the Group II race cars.

He also told me the axle perches were moved because he was planning to use the axle in a 1971 Maverick race car he was building back in the mid 70's, but ended up not using it. This axle housing has sat in his shop for the last 40 years.

I will be posting the axle shafts and a few other parts in other auctions.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2632627258…e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for a used rear end axle housing by Ebay member "dozz302" with a Buy-It-Now of $2,900.00:

Very nice original Ford OEM 9 inch housing. No dents rust or damage. Only slight hint of any "patina". Over all current semi gloss paint on housing is nice but does have some touch up's here and there. Always stored in a climate controlled environment. Spring perch mounting surfaces are 42 3/4" center to center. Overall width is 52 inches. Still has the original fill plug with the "L" on the back seen in pictures. Correct for 1965 1966 Mustang Shelby GT 350 with the High Performance or known as HiPo 271 horsepower engine. Also Mustang non Shelby with the again 271 horsepower High Performance engine. Also includes new nuts and copper sealing washers for the carrier and new axel nuts and gaskets. you need any additional pictures or need any further information please let me know. Very nice part - nothing to hide. Buyer pays actual shipping costs only also available for pick up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-66-FO…v8AAOSww9ddpj3C

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

Here is an Ebay auction for a used rear end axle housing by Ebay member "dozz302" with a Buy-It-Now of $2,900.00:

Very nice original Ford OEM 9 inch housing. No dents rust or damage. Only slight hint of any "patina". Over all current semi gloss paint on housing is nice but does have some touch up's here and there. Always stored in a climate controlled environment. Spring perch mounting surfaces are 42 3/4" center to center. Overall width is 52 inches. Still has the original fill plug with the "L" on the back seen in pictures. Correct for 1965 1966 Mustang Shelby GT 350 with the High Performance or known as HiPo 271 horsepower engine. Also Mustang non Shelby with the again 271 horsepower High Performance engine. Also includes new nuts and copper sealing washers for the carrier and new axel nuts and gaskets. you need any additional pictures or need any further information please let me know. Very nice part - nothing to hide. Buyer pays actual shipping costs only also available for pick up.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1965-66-FO…v8AAOSww9ddpj3C

-Fred-

I did not notice this issue when I first posted this housing as I was in too much of a hurry. This housing is actually NOT an original as the axle tubes where they meet the center section are smaller in diameter by a noticeable amount. Original 65/66 Mustang 9" housings are the same size where the tubes meet the center section. If you used a pair of axle tubes out of an 8" 65/66 Mustang rear end to make up a 9" housing, this housing is what you would get. Therefore it is extremely unlikely that this is an original housing.

Don Quillen (SAVETHESTANGS) on the first version of this forum did make up the correct sized axle tubes and was able to properly duplicate the original 9" axle housings of both types for 65 and 66. They looked really good. I am currently researching as to whether he still does this. Here is a link from the old forum and he has a number of posts there:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3241533024…em=324153302418

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

Fred you are correct he did make them ,I purchased one from him back then to have as a spare, when placed side by side to an original it is spot on, don't know if he is still doing them.

It is good to hear that you were happy with his work, Chuck.

I have sent emails to both of his known emails from the past. They were not returned as errors so possibly he will get back to me.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• When I purchased it I had it shipped to the ford dealership I was working for at the time , because it looked like an NOS housing the parts manager asked me how and which other ford dealer I found it at .

• Official Post

When I purchased it I had it shipped to the ford dealership I was working for at the time , because it looked like an NOS housing the parts manager asked me how and which other ford dealer I found it at .

That is very cool!!!

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Official Post

This used rear end axle housing sold March 5, 2021 on Ebay for $2,900.00.

Please read my note above this in regards to the unlikeliness of this actually being an original housing.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for a used rear end axle housing by Ebay member "aboss429ataol " with a starting bid of $795.00:

This is a used original exceptionally clean 9" Ford rear differential. This is for the 1965 Ford Mustang or Shelby GT350 with the 289 HiPo high performance V8. This was standard equipment on the K Code transmission. It measures 52" across and has the shanked down axle tubes. This was purchased over 20 years ago for a project that was never completed. It would make a great addition to your Classic. Thank you and happy ebaying! (NewRearRoom)

Used Original 1965 Ford Mustang K Code & Shelby GT350 9" Rear Housing | eBay

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Here is an Ebay auction for a used rear end axle housing by Ebay member "aboss429ataol " with a starting bid of $795.00:

This is a used original exceptionally clean 9" Ford rear differential. This is for the 1965 Ford Mustang or Shelby GT350 with the 289 HiPo high performance V8. This was standard equipment on the K Code transmission. It measures 52" across and has the shanked down axle tubes. This was purchased over 20 years ago for a project that was never completed. It would make a great addition to your Classic. Thank you and happy ebaying! (NewRearRoom)

Used Original 1965 Ford Mustang K Code & Shelby GT350 9" Rear Housing | eBay

-Fred-

I did not notice this issue when I first posted this housing as I was in too much of a hurry. This housing is actually NOT an original as the axle tubes where they meet the center section are smaller in diameter by a noticeable amount. Original 65/66 Mustang 9" housings are the same size where the tubes meet the center section. If you used a pair of axle tubes out of an 8" 65/66 Mustang rear end to make up a 9" housing, this housing is what you would get. Therefore it is extremely unlikely that this is an original housing.

I was planning to bid on this one myself, but after comparing the pictures to a few of the original housings that I currently have, I decided against it.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This used rear end axle housing sold November 20, 2021 on Ebay for $1,387.87 with 3 bids from 3 bidders.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• This used rear end axle housing sold October 22, 2022 on Ebay for $2,500.00.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!