Looking for an Exhaust System (Early 65 HiPo Coupe)

• Hey Guys,

Im the lucky owner of an early 65 Coupe HiPo (February 65).

I'm in the middle of a restoration project and need your advice.

I'm trying to figure out which exhaust system was on my car orignally.
    I've heard that all 64 1/2 and early 65's HiPo's had the Arvinode system. Is that true?

And if not: Is there any way to tell which one my car originally had? From the VIN number?

I really like the Waldron system but i want it to be as close to the original exhaust as possible.

Kind regards,
    Niko

• The 64 1/2 and 1965 through around October of 1964 had a transverse dual exhaust system. This consisted of two before axle resonators and a transverse dual exhaust muffler which is a Hipo only application. Around October 1964 Ford went to the Arvinode system. This was used until around March of 1965. As far as I know, the early Arvinode has never been found on a Kar in March of 1965 that was a GT as the GT first began production in March of 1965. After that Ford went to the quieter Arvinode system with real dual mufflers and after axle resonators.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Niko, In reply to your original question, your Kar would have had the early Arvinode that Waldron produced. This was all thanks to Dave Wallace and all of his painstaking research to get this done. Unfortunately all of that information was on the first version of this forum. Dave ended up moving to Canada and later sold his Kar to a gentleman in, I believe, Texas.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Quote from "C6ZZKGT" pid='14' dateline='1553096591'

Niko, In reply to your original question, your Kar would have had the early Arvinode that Waldron produced. This was all thanks to Dave Wallace and all of his painstaking research to get this done. Unfortunately all of that information was on the first version of this forum. Dave ended up moving to Canada and later sold his Kar to a gentleman in, I believe, Texas.

-Fred-

Thanks Fred. Do you know if the connection between the exhaust parts / pipes was welded back then?
    I know that newer Kars had them clamped.

• Thanks Fred. Do you know if the connection between the exhaust parts / pipes was welded back then?
    I know that newer Kars had them clamped.

Niko, I am unclear on your question but I believe that you are wanting to know if the entire system is welded together. It is not, the "H" pipe is clamped to the entire rear part of the system just like the later systems. Also like the later systems, the entire rear section is welded together.

I do not know how to attach pictures on this forum so I have sent them to you in an email. Please attach them to the forum and then, please let me know how to do it in the future. The pictures are of an NOS Arvinode system that was on Ebay a few years ago. Someone on the forum noticed it and posted the link to the forum. I stored the pictures on my desktop.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• For everyone's info, Richard Porter recently installed the Waldron-made Arvinode concours exhaust system on my early '65 K fastback. Interesting that previous posts here suggested the Arvinode was "quieter". My car sounds "good and loud", especially wound thru the gears! I would recommend the Arvinode pipes to anyone whose car fits the timeline in which they were used. They were installed about six months ago -- I still visit the garage a couple times a week just to start it and listen when I don't have time or weather won't let me drive it. Sounds like the hot rods that snapped my young head around to look when I was 3-4 years old. charlie

• Official Post

For everyone's info, Richard Porter recently installed the Waldron-made Arvinode concours exhaust system on my early '65 K fastback. Interesting that previous posts here suggested the Arvinode was "quieter". My car sounds "good and loud", especially wound thru the gears! I would recommend the Arvinode pipes to anyone whose car fits the timeline in which they were used. They were installed about six months ago -- I still visit the garage a couple times a week just to start it and listen when I don't have time or weather won't let me drive it. Sounds like the hot rods that snapped my young head around to look when I was 3-4 years old. charlie

I am unclear as to who thought that the early Arvinode is quiet. Ford had so many noise complaints about the early Arvinode that Ford offered mufflers to cut down on the noise. The later Arvinode with actual resonators and mufflers that began around March 1965 is much quitter without any rapping. A friend of mine has the Waldron Arvinode of his early 65 Konvertible ,and yes it is loud, but it sounds great to my old school ears.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

Edited once, last by C6ZZKGT (April 3, 2019 at 5:27 AM).

• 1965 Silver Smoke Gray K GT Coupe
    1965 Springtime Yellow K Fastback
    1967 Vintage Burgandy K GT Coupe
    1970 Calypso Coral Boss 302
    1984 Light Canyon Red GT 5.0 Convertible (Original Owner)
    2012 Blaze Yellow Boss 302

• Official Post

That looks really good. I am happy that you were able to figure out how to post pictures on the site as I have not figured it out as yet.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I installed the arvinode system from Waldron and it perfect and sounds awesome! I’m so glad I did. The only thing I’ve noticed is that it does throw a lot of heat on the floor, specifically the tunnel. I probably should have listened to my friend that suggested I lay down some hush mat or other insulation under the carpet when I restored the car. However I wanted it to be just as it was originally, heat and sound included! :)

Barry

1965 K code coupe (Aug. 13/64)-restored
    1939 International D2 1/2 ton PU-restored

1963 Impala SS 409 coupe-original
    1947 Whizzer motorcycle-restored
    2012 Harley Davidson FLHP

• Official Post

I installed the arvinode system from Waldron and it perfect and sounds awesome! I’m so glad I did. The only thing I’ve noticed is that it does throw a lot of heat on the floor, specifically the tunnel. I probably should have listened to my friend that suggested I lay down some hush mat or other insulation under the carpet when I restored the car. However I wanted it to be just as it was originally, heat and sound included! :)

To me, the worst would be the heat. My 66 Corvette had the heat problem with the normal inside frame exhaust. The factory side pipes, which it has, are a big help. The Corvette comes with insulation on the underside of the car to help alleviate the heat issue but would certainly look out of place on our Mustangs.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Just a quick follow up: I bought the arvinode system.

Thank you for the advice, can't wait to put it on my Kar.

20200121_193738_autoscaled.jpg

Very Koool!!

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Just a quick follow up: I bought the arvinode system.

Thank you for the advice, can't wait to put it on my Kar.

20200121_193738_autoscaled.jpg

GREXIT,

Where did you buy your system from? Any pictures of the install?

Evan,

i bought them from Waldron Exhausts.

http://www.waldronexhaust.com/arvinodedualexhaust.htm

Unfortunately, i haven't installed them yet but there are plenty of videos of installed systems on youtube.

Cheers

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!