T10 ID help/advice

• I have been offered ($300) a T10 out of a 65 Mustang. What markings, tag info or castings should I look for to identify it as a 65 Mustang T10. Its supposed to be "running fine" when removed and stored indoors. I will have a pro look at it after I determine if it is worth driving a couple of hours to look at.

Edited by - wm65 on 04/18/2008 14:54:53

Edited by - wm65 on 04/18/2008 15:21:07

• My opinion is that the B/W T-10 is not nearly as strong as the famous Ford Toploader.

I have been around Mustangs for 30 years and never have seen a factory installed T-10----may be they were used mostly in Shelbys which I'm not really into.

I had a 1965 Falcon with a B/W T-10 from the factory and even behind a stock 2v 289 the trans was nothing but trouble, and so were the 3 replacements!

My suggestion would be to find yourself a good Toploader!

• The trans has a tag with "HEK-AO"

The trans has a casting of T10H-7B with a boss with "H.10.C5"

Does this info translate to anything?

Thanks

6hypo5conv, I have not disregarded your reply, just trying to gather some info.

Edited by - wm65 on 04/18/2008 21:39:15

• WM, No problem!! I'm a little surprised that no one else has replied yet....I am just not a fan of the B/W T-10.

If you deceide to go the toploader route I strongly suggest David Kee toploaders for finding one or having one rebuilt.

• I owned a 1966 Mustang Coupe with a B/W T10 trans that was very reliable. It was a factory installed trans and I drove that car almost every day for 12 years. The only part I had to replace was the input bearing. I did dog it some and it held up well. You can tell the difference between the B/W T10 and top loader as the B/W loads all of it's inrernal parts from the side and toploader loads from the top.

• I have been working on T10's for over 45 years now. Obviously in the beginning the ones that I worked on were GM transmissions as there was no Mustang at the time. They work well and are far easiler to work on then toploaders. Their drawback seems to be that the synchro teeth wear readily and it does not take as much wear as a toploader before the T10 starts popping out of gear on decelleration. This is usually a second and third gear issue. The sychros are readily available for replacement but the gears are tough to find and they are the biggest part of the problem for popping out of gear. I am not a fan of the gear ratios in the Mustang T10 versions especially the 66 version. The Shelby version has a good gear ratio but is cost prohibitive to run in anything other than a Shelby in todays market as the last Shelby T10 that I saw available was $6,000.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• The casting you mention, T10-H7B is located on the

tail shaft correct? The housing should have the

a casting saying T10-H1. This trans came on mustangs

with, I believe, the following gear ratio: 1st 2.73,

2nd 2.04, 3rd 1.50 and 4th 1.00.

The H10 C5 could be the assembly date, Aug 10, 1965.

The T10 in my 65 Shelby has D295 2 stamped just behind

the side cover and that means April 29th, 1965, second shift.

My trans has T10-M1 casted on the housing and T10-M7 on the

tail shaft.

/Bo

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have been working on T10's for over 45 years now...Their drawback seems to be that the synchro teeth wear readily and it does not take as much wear as a toploader before the T10 starts popping out of gear on decelleration. This is usually a second and third gear issue. The sychros are readily available for replacement but the gears are tough to find and they are the biggest part of the problem for popping out of gear. -Fred-

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I agree with Fred. My '64 Fairlane Sports Coupe had a T-10, and so did my '65 Comet Cyclone. Both suffered from the "popping out of 3rd gear" worn syncro problem when I bought them. After I had them rebuilt, the problem was solved. My '65 Mustang has an original Top Loader that still shifts perfectly, and doesn't pop out of gears when coasting. There's about 90,000 original miles on the drivetrain now. It took a little getting used to the characteristic whine that the Top Loader makes when running compared to the quieter sound of the T-10's.

• A T-10 popping out of 2nd and 3rd gear on deceleration on a 64 Fairlane Sports Coup 'K' car - that was normal in 1964. Ford replaced the syncros on mine as it happened within the 90 day warranty period. I was lucky enough to watch as I had to replace them about a year later. I kept the car for two years and that transmission was the only problem I had. Thirtyfive years later, I bought a 66 Mustang GT Fastback with a factory T-10 but it didn't have any problems. As long as you don't abuse the transmission and don't put a strain on it, it will last - but not in a 'K' car.

Jim

• I had my original close ratio 66 T-10H upgraded with Super T-10 synchros, sliders, forks, and bearings back around 1995 or so. The visual differences between these parts and stock parts was astounding, I had a chance to inspect them before my tranny guy did the work. If they are still available you can have a stock T-10 built stronger than a toploader IMO.

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!