Block with thick caps?

• Any comments on the caps?

Sold for <b>??</b> by strikerskia

BuyItNow set at <b>3695</b><BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>ORIGINAL FORD HI-PO PARTS

1964 1/2 FORD 289 "HI-PO" BLOCK IN EXCEPTIONAL CONDTION.

BLOCK HAS BEEN MAGNAFLUXED,CHECKED, HONNED WITH CROSS HATCH, AT STANDARD BORE THIS IS A VERY NICE BLOCK FOR SOME BUILDING A NOSTALGIC MUSCLE CAR OR HOT ROD !!!!!

CASTING # C40E-6015-C

DATE CODE # 4B18(REALLY HARD TO MAKE OUT)<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

link

[Blocked Image: http://i18.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/b4/44/91ce_3.JPG]

• Not to be overly cynical, but....

someone could use photoshop to 'blur' Mexican casting marks in a picture...

and someone can also use a die grinder to actually remove the marks.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>someone could use photoshop to 'blur' Mexican casting marks in a picture...

and someone can also use a die grinder to actually remove the marks.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>Point is, there are suspicious marks on the caps.

• I missed the grinding marks on the caps altogether.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Not to be overly cynical, but....

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

With photoshop and ebay you can't be too cynical!

• The rear cap is not a standard cap as the finish is correct for a Hipo or Mexican cap. The standard cap has a definite step in the surface that is concentric with the main bearing shape. The fact that there are no numbers at all on the rear cap leads me to believe that these are disguised Mexican caps as all of you are already thinking. It surprises me that the main cap bolts are not the correct type as they are certainly not tough to find.

-Fred-

Edited by - c6zzkgt on 09/12/2007 12:33:23

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• The seller of this block is now aware that it is not really a Hipo block and that the caps are Mexican ones. He was unaware of the differences until they were pointed out. He is an Ebay seller with integrity and has relisted the block as a standard block with Mexican caps with a much lower price. On the plus side, it is a standard bore 5 bolt block.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I have purchased from this seller in the past and have found him to be a person of high integrity. It is good to find an honest person like him on Ebay.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I have several sets with the arrows on the side like the Mexican caps in the picture. Bobs' picture with the arrows in the center is the first example that I have seen.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have several sets with the arrows on the side like the Mexican caps in the picture. Bobs' picture with the arrows in the center is the first example that I have seen.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That's a very interesting picture that Bob has posted above. (I would guess those are some early castings.) Most of the HiPo caps we've seen on eBay have the numbers and arrows offset, as in the picture below:

<center>[Blocked Image: http://www.hipomustang.com/cgi-bin/parts/maincaps031107-1.jpg]</center>

By the way, the block that was referenced at the top of this thread was relisted, but didn't sell. The auction ended with only one bid of $200.00.

• It is also interesting in Bobs' picture above that the C3OE number on the rear main cap appears to have the three stamped into it rather than cast in like the others.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I have a set of hipo caps with the #4 cap having C3OE cast on a little screw on plate casting. And the rear main cap also has a 4 cast on it, and is stamped with a D.

Edited by - toolbox on 09/18/2007 15:40:11

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!