Nice example of original rear spring markings

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

This catalized urithane that bigal mentions kind of concerns me....I guess I'll know when the lacquer thinner won't remove it???

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Yes, you'll know pretty quick! You could always dab some paint remover on the stripes, but will have to be careful not to get it on anything else.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

..........I wonder why my restorer elected to do the markings like he did?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Its common to find restorers using what they have seen or are comfortable. Have a guy use to 69-70's he will always lean towards stripes.

We start seeing stripes at San Jose in the mid year of 65 production (intermixed with dots) and move towards more to all stripes as we get into 66 production there from what I see

We start seeing stripes at San Jose in the mid year of 65 production (intermixed with dots) and move towards more to all stripes as we get into 66 production there from what I see

Jeff - my 9/65 scheduled build '66 SJ car has the dots.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

..........I wonder why my restorer elected to do the markings like he did?

Its common to find restorers using what they have seen or are comfortable. Have a guy use to 69-70's he will always lean towards stripes.

The Ford Motor Co. product engineering drawing indicate paint stripes.

The Ford Motor Co. product engineering drawing indicate paint stripes.

Yes they do and thanks for reminding us again of another place where Ford documentation does not align with the facts and evidence in the real world or maybe the engineering drawings are from the period after the dots.

Its great when multiple things (documents and original car findings) do all align. Makes everything a little easier

Edited by - J_Speegle on 12/21/2009 19:04:38

• The Ford documentation confirms what you & others have seen that paint stripes do exist. It would seem reasonable that both methods of applying the part ID color code are correct & not only dots.

Many car enthusiasts seek documentation to add credibility to confirm what is presented as original. I think that sharing the Ford information helps to full fill that need.

The Ford documentation confirms what you & others have seen that paint stripes do exist. It would seem reasonable that both methods of applying the part ID color code are correct & not only dots.

Many car enthusiasts seek documentation to add credibility to confirm what is presented as original. I think that sharing the Ford information helps to full fill that need.

It's always helpful to have the documentation and greatly appreciated when the information is made available to help these discussions.

Edited by - round2K on 12/29/2009 22:44:33

• Just got done cleaning my august 65 build SJ k coupe rear leaf springs and found two red dots on the last leaf. both left and right are the same

Edited by - earlyk on 01/15/2010 09:03:26

Edited by - earlyk on 01/15/2010 09:03:47

• The date codes on these springs are quite close to the

scheduled build date. Jan 5th and Jan. 16 or 18.

Which is right and which is left. I have noticed that

on 65 Shelbys the oldest spring (if different between the two)

are located on the left side. Several 65 Shelbys built in the

end of March at San Jose have 16 or 18 5 E on the left side and

75 5 E on the right side. Jan. 16 or 18 and March 16 respectively.

/Bo

Just got done cleaning my august 65 build SJ k coupe rear leaf springs and found two red dots on the last leaf. both left and right are the same

That is the correct ID markings for a coupe with special handling package.

• That would be correct then for the GT's its a K GT with the Special handling package... I will send some photo's of the paint stamp markings on the disc brake calipers as well, that I have found

• I was reading this topic and see where the spring with oldest date question wasn't answered so I wanted to ask it again.Is this referenced as the drivers side being the left side and passenger the right side where the oldest spring is put?

I was reading this topic and see where the spring with oldest date question wasn't answered so I wanted to ask it again.Is this referenced as the drivers side being the left side and passenger the right side where the oldest spring is put?

I can't imagine that being anything other than a coincidence, but certainly is something worth checking into. I can't speak for BoS, but when I refer to the 'left' side of the car, it is the driver side (U.S.)

• That's what I do too, left is driver side.

Strange that several Shelby 65's have these

big difference in dates 16 and 18 on drivers side

and 75 on passenger side.

Charles, after you convinced me with your pictures

that te green and yellow dots should be sprayed on

I cleaned mine up and bought spray paint instead.

/Bo

• When you order parts Ford has always made the left side drivers side.Now what date number goes where as the last original Dearborn 65 GT I seen the oldest was on the passenger side?

• Was looking through some old posts and just wanted to add that the RH leaf spring on the K convertible was actually the later dated one (18th day). For whatever reason, I had marked 'RH' and 'LH' on a piece of tape when I removed them from the car.

• Thanks for your input as I remember the cars I've restored the leaf spring with the oldest date went on the passenger side.The early 65 Hipo Mustang I bought awhile back when I took the springs off to restore them the oldest spring was on the passenger side also like the others so I put it back that way.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!