VIN stamping on Tailshaft

• That sure is a new one on me. It is interesting that the letters are a different size from the numbers. The number three is not of the normal stamping either as they are usually rounded at the top.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I would recommend that you continue to research the source of the stamping. We've seen a lot of transmission and block stamping, but I can't recall ever having seen the mix and match approach to the size of the number and letter dies. I agree with Fred on the 3 and the size of the letters being unusual, and the backward K is equally odd.

• The engine stamping certainly does add credibility to this subject. This is especially true due to the fact that your father has owned it since it was new. It must have been a tough day at the assembly plant when your Kar was built!!! Maybe this is a Monday Kar after a party weekend.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Kar was bought new by my father and has never had the trans out except when we replaced the clutch in 1983. Engine VIN stamping is very poor quality also.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Guess that answers the question of authenticity and provenance.

Nice to see them matching. What was the scheduled build date?

Edited by - round2K on 09/08/2009 18:23:59

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Ordered March 15, build April 4, delivered April 7

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Built on a "Monday", thereby lending credence to the Monday-Friday scenario. I would also include that it is possible that two different workers did the stampings, in two different sub-assembly areas and on two different days.

Jim

• The stampings on the engine actually do match the trans in both the type style of the three and the oversize K.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Was trolling thru the archives and found more than one posting about the backward K vin stampings on the transmissions from the Metuchen plant. I guess it might have been some workers signature.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!