K-Code Shock Absorbers

• As in installed or NOS service part. I have 2 rear NOS in the box units that my Dad told me were K shocks. You have an OEM number? I can check the boxes.

• No service parts, bonafide factory originals as installed when the K Mustang rolled out of the assembly plant......Looking for the part number stamping on the shock absorbers.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Tom, I think that I have what you are looking for. Or at least the rear. Let me know what you need.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Looking for the part number stamping on the shock absorbers.

• KAR-NUT

Tom, I Will list the entire branding.

AUTOLITE

MADE IN USA

C4ZF-1x80-C (the "x" indicates a character that I cannot determine, might be a 6 or an 8 or ?, just cannot tell)

C5-CA

REAR

These were on the car when I purchased it in 86, and I suspect are the originals, you will have to determine that by the numbers, most of the car was not disturbed and low mileage. I have always questioned the AUTOLITE logo on them, so please let me know what you have determined.

• Thanks, that helps to confirm what I have K-Code Mustang shock absorbers were indeed different.

The original shock absorbers had AUTOLITE stamped on them.

Model Year 1965: C5ZF-18045-B Shock Absorber Assy. Front

Model Year 1965: C4ZF-18080-C Shock Absorber Assy. Rear

The stamping on the shock absorber you have is correct.

AUTOLITE

MADE IN USA

PART NUMBER

DATE CODE

FRONT or REAR

• There was a "special handling package" option for both "C" and "A" code engine cars that included the same shocks as "K" code cars in both 65 and 66 plus other stuff. That option was a part of the "GT" package as well.

Jim

• The information I have shows 7 different rear shock absorber engineering part numbers & 3 different front shock absorber engineering part numbers. The shocks listed above are shown to be applicable to Special Handling Packing, 289-4V High Performance.

• I don't know, there could be more.

A note from Bob Mannel: None of the MPCs list the special handling package directly for 1965 Mustang, only the 289 Special.

• TSB, No. 6, dated Jan 18, 1965 has a section that details the handling package. Here's a scan of the page... which explicitly states which models it's available for.

http://www.early-mustang.com/charles/handling_package.jpg

One thing interesting to note is the chart calls out Gabriel shocks for the handling package. That would mean the 'G' insignia would have been on them. Of course, this would take more research to determine if Gabriel shocks were exclusive only to the special handling package (I doubt it.)

Also, they did make a mistake on the chart... the steering box code is wrong for manual steering gear.

Just sharing information.

• The TSB helps to confirm the correct part numbers. The flare on the upper bell of the rear shock is shown as optional.

Can you post some pictures of the shock absorbers you have?

I noticed they show the rear leaf springs are identified with paint stripes.

• Both of my coups have the handling package and original shocks.I have pictures of the 45,00 mile coups front shock.The information is as follows:FOMOCO in oval

C5ZF-18045-B

FRONT

G (Gabrial)

Made in USA

C4HA

No paint code visable

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!