Timing Chain Question

• Dave,

I've been fighting a cold for the past week. Hopefully I will feel well enough in the near future to remove the cover and verify it was made by Cloyes. We could always ask if they would bring it back, but I doubt they will do it.

Gary

Edited by - garymcgowan on 11/29/2008 10:33:32

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I've got probably 4 of these still and they are not made anymore.I'll sell them if anybody wants one?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

the ones you have will or will not work with the hatchet ?

thanks,

Z. Ray

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I've got probably 4 of these still and they are not made anymore.I'll sell them if anybody wants one?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I'm interested. Price?

• They will work with hatchet as that was the idea to strengthen the timing of camshaft and reduce parasitic horse power loss.I'll check into finding them in the shop and quote price.

They will work with hatchet as that was the idea to strengthen the timing of camshaft and reduce parasitic horse power loss.I'll check into finding them in the shop and quote price.

put me down for one,

thanks,

Z. Ray

Count me in if you have enough.

Ralph, did you and any of the others get the double roller yet? Let me know when you get it. I would like to compare numbers.

Thanks,

Gary

• Nice to be back on line as my computer took a dump.Have been looking some but haven't found them yet.Am running across other parts but will let you guys know when I do...Thanks

• You are correct that it does not have an oil slinger. That is not really a factor for the chain to fit though as the slinger will only push the balancer slightly further out. The slinger is so thin that the difference would be minimal and not affect belt alignment.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Hi Fella's, I thought I read in a magazine years ago (doing a rebuild on a 289) said to machine the crank sprocket down by the thickness of the hatchet to maintain alignment of the chain. I have looked for this article but still have not found it. I'll keep looking and post if and when I find it. The mag would either be Fast Fords or Mustangs and Fords.As I have alot to go through it will take some time, Maybe some one might remember a year for me.

Cheers Zed

I live near a place called JP Engineering who make timing sets and pistons. If someone could send me some specifications I could make some enquiries. With the exchange rate they may work out cheap for those in the USA.

Edited by - Zed on 02/26/2009 01:22:29

• Zed,

It may be possible to machine down the sprocket BUT only if there is sufficient clearance between the hatchet and the chain once it is done.

If the chain is too thick it will contact the hatchet surface once it is machined - remember that the chain passes once for every 2 turns of the crank - so any contact would be fatal to the chain, hatchet, and ultimately the engine - metal wear and shavings in the oil.

I may look at doing this when my motor goes back together - but only with extreme caution. I have the stock Cloyes timing parts already.

You will also have to add the hole in the sprocket for the roll pin to hold the hatchet in place - if you don't do this only the key slot holds it in place and eventually the slot may widen or the key fail.

The other possibility is to add a spacer to the CAM sprocket the same size as the hatchet - provided there is sufficient clearance to the front engine cover and the fuel pump arm - I'm not sure there is. I don't know of anyone who has tested this or is offering a spacer.

• If you were able to space the cam sprocket out the thickness of the hatchet, which I think will not be compatible with the fuel pump arm, your next problem would be that you would need to remove an equal amount from the snout of the balancer to get the pulleys back in line.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Fred - you are correct - I should clarify a little.

If you use the current dual roller 289 kit - add the hatchet and a spacer to the cam gear every thing moves out together - the trouble would be clearance to the front cover at the cam and crank plus the fuel pump arm.

Thinking about this some more it won't work - I don't think there is enough room on the crank end to use the hatchet and the regular 289 gear.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!