65 stang cooling

• The temp. here in Nevada will reach over 100, what can I do to keep her running cool even in the middle of summer? Is there a combination of water pump, radiator and fan recommended?

• I got a friend on another forum that lives in Texas, an area not known for cool during certain times of the year, and he recomends Wetter Water.

Jim

• Thank you guys. I contacted red line and they told me that wetter water will part of the solution and will reduce the water temp. That is interesting reading. What is the capacity of the cooling system of the mustang? I am going to try the recomendation of red line and see if two identical cars run differently. I'll keep you guys posted. I was also thinking of replacing my original radiator with an aluminum one is there a reputable one out there that I should consider?

• If you're not into the concours look.Use a Flow Cooler Brand waterpump. They work! Available in aftermarket hi-performance catalogs such as Jeg's & Summit's.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

If you're not into the concours look.Use a Flow Cooler Brand water pump. They work! Available in aftermarket hi-performance catalogs such as Jeg's & Summit's.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

When I purchased my car it didn't have a Hi-Po water pump, so I went with a Flow Cooler cast iron pump when replacement was necessary. I use the water wetter product as well. On a recent 1500 mile trip to New Mexico with air temp. near 100 degrees in West Texas, the engine temp. held steady in the middle of the normal range.

Also consider buying a quality radiator cap such as one from the Stant.

http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?b…location_id=179

Stant also has a great line of thermostats.

http://www.stant.com/brochure.cfm?b…location_id=168

(no I don't work for them, I just like products that work as advertised)

remember, the cooling system is a system, everything has to work "together"

also consider an overflow tank, In the Texas climate, I couldn't make it without one. Available from many vendors. This is the type I use:

http://mustangsplus.com/xcart/product.…cat=2859&page=1

Z. Ray

Edited by - zrayrichter on 06/24/2008 11:13:34

• I live in a part of CA that gets in to the 110-120s all summer long. I have run a four row radiator and never had any issues. I have also run an original two row radiator and not had any issues, though it does run warmer than the four row. The four row has significantly more capacity for exchanging heat than the two row, but it does require longer fan shroud brackets and a shorter fan spacer. Most of the bigger Mustang outfits sell a three or four row. In my experience it is not practical to try and fit an original two row top tank to a three or four row aftermarket radiator.

• Thank you for all the help guys. By the way Z. Ray after receiveing pictures of your unrestored 66 shelby, I got hooked on unrestored cars now. I just got lucky and bought a nice unrestored original paint 65 shelby. I will send you some pics when I have the car in my posession.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Thank you for all the help guys. By the way Z. Ray after receiveing pictures of your unrestored 66 shelby, I got hooked on unrestored cars now. I just got lucky and bought a nice unrestored original paint 65 shelby. I will send you some pics when I have the car in my posession.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Which one did you get (there has been a handfull of "original" paint 65's that have popped up recently)

If its not one that I got access to I would be interested in pictures also. = please

Which one did you get (there has been a handfull of "original" paint 65's that have popped up recently)

If its not one that I got access to I would be interested in pictures also. = please

Me too!

Dave
    6S1757

• Fron 10 feet away the paint is not too bad as the car has been in the hands of a collector for many years. After years of buffing, it is very thin in many places(edge of quarter panels, hood, fenders etc.). The guy I bought it from said he has avoided washing the car just to preserve what little quality is left in the paint. I plan on driving it as is.

Fron 10 feet away the paint is not too bad as the car has been in the hands of a collector for many years. After years of buffing, it is very thin in many places(edge of quarter panels, hood, fenders etc.). The guy I bought it from said he has avoided washing the car just to preserve what little quality is left in the paint. I plan on driving it as is.

I wrestled many times over the dilemma of whether to paint it & restrict my driving, or leave it as it is, and just rely on wax to preserve what I've got. I guess I've finally come down on the side of leaving it alone. The next owner(s) can do as they see fit.

Plus, I can't figure out if it's worth more original, or with the new paint job which would cost 10K +

Z. Ray

• I agree, as much as I enjoy looking at a well done restored car, it's a nice original that really gets my lifters clacking. I'm a little surprised the bidding on the survivor 65 GT350 on ebay this week, 5S486, stalled at $180K and didn't make reserve, looked like a great car. Or...was that the one you bought?

Edited by - Mad4HiPos on 06/26/2008 19:22:33

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!