Want to Drop the Nose of my Kar by 1"

• Hi all.

I would like to lower my kar's nose by 1". I've done a forum search and found nothing, so I was wondering how I go about this, and what parts I need?

Are there Shelby parts that I can use? I have to use 1965 parts as my kar has historic registration in Australia.

Is the Shelby front sway bar thicker than the K? If so, would it give the kar a better ride?

Thanks.

Regards,

René

• Hi Rene,

If you aren't too worried about originality, you could

lower the upper A-arms one inch like Shelby did on the

65's and 252 first 66's. Have that on my 65 Shelby, of course,

but also did it on my 67 Shelby with excellent results.

Shelby 65's and 66's had a 1" front sway bar and I am not an

expert but believe that there must have been a reason why

they added this thicker bar. For a HiPo Mustang to handle like

a Shelby you must do all the changes Shelby did including

traction bars etc.

/Bo

• Rene, if you do the mods that Bo suggests you will really appreciate the handling difference. I did this to one of my Kars 25 years ago and it has held up well without any unusual tire wear all of this time. I also added Koni shocks, export brace and Monte Carlo bar to triangulate the front end better for rigidity as Shelby did. I did not remove the original welded on shock tower brace brackets so that I can always put the Kar back to original. I have put over 80,000 miles on it since and the Konis are still good on all four corners. I can still adjust them up to kill if I really want to stiffen it more but I have them just slightly off of kill to make the Kar ride well. I used the original GT springs that came on my Kar although I have put the Meier springs on others with great success.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

If you aren't too worried about originality

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hi Bo.

If you mean not worried as in drilling new holes, I definitely don't want to do anything like that. Whatever I do, I want it to be a reversible option.

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

René

• Rene, It is not that tough to weld up and refinish the holes if you wanted to return your Kar to original. It just makes the Kar a much better driver.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!