Tail Shaft Stencil

• The old very original looking tailshaft stencil numbers on our 6R07 K Code tailshaft are.....19078-11E

Can any one say if they are correct?

Jason

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 01/23/2009 01:37:12

• The stencil number came from the tube maker and identified the size and when the tube was formed from my understanding. Out of each tube we've been told that three drivelines could be formed. So the stencil would not be correct on the majority of cars ♠

The number you posted is the same base number found on non-K code drive lines. And I can not recall (off the top of my head) if the K codes used the same dia tube in 64-66

• My 1966 San Jose C code conv (scheduled build date Oct. 30, 1965) has "19078-4S " clearly stenciled on the tube of the driveshaft. My 1965 Hipo from Dearborn (scheduled build date Apr 22. 1965) clearly has the same number (19078) but the suffix is not readable. Wish I knew the meaning of the suffix, and as Jeff noted, not all shafts have this or any number stenciled on them. If others will check their "shafts" and post the results here we may be able to establish some kind of a pattern. Anybody up for detective work?

Edited by - Murf on 08/19/2007 14:56:37

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I can not recall (off the top of my head) if the K codes used the same dia tube in 64-66

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The diameter is the same, but the length is shorter for K codes.

• I've made stencils of the driveshaft markings. Lay a piece of clear plastic over the original and tape the ends. Cut out the characters with a razor. Spray the stencil onto a piece of cardboard with yellow paint and allow it to dry, this will make the stencil more rigid and easier to use later.

• What size are the numbers and what size is the tube?How long is it also?Was this done on all the cars from all the plants?Reason I'm asking is my car is Dearborn car and wondered if this is correct?

Edited by - RPM on 01/23/2009 09:21:53

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Was this done on all the cars from all the plants?Reason I'm asking is my car is Dearborn car and wondered if this is correct?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

As mentioned before - it was likely (just the odds not originally on your car since only 1 out of 3 cars would have had this detail.

It thought that the code indicates the diameter and date of the piece of tubing

• Jim,

I don't think it's a date code, at least not a month/week format. The 5S in the pic above wouldn't make sense for 6S1757 and it's definitely the original tube.

Dave

Dave
    6S1757

This should help. This is the original tube from my car, stripes to the rear.....

[Blocked Image: http://www.1965gt350mustang.com/temp/driveline.jpg]

Dave - Do you know if the stripes on your shaft were original to the car, and if so, what color are they? (Color-challenged vision.)

• I have attempted to figure out that stencil for 30 years. I have seen quite a few in that time and am convinced it is NOT an indicator of the date, or at least in a format that can be understood. As an example I am certain of two shaftw used in October 65 production that both have "4S". Nothing for a Mustang hung around in Fords inventory that long for a Mustang in the fall of 65. Parts were used in production almost as quickly as they were made. Both of these shafts were fromn rust free unmolested California cars and were very readable so there is no mistake as to what alpha numeric symbols were on the shafts. I just cannnot buy into the date format for the suffix on the tubes I have seen.

• Not sure if the suffix was the date but John since Ford didn't make the tubes the idea that they could not have hung around any specific amount in time is just an assumption IMHO. We have no specific understanding of the codes or the assembly and stocking practices of the companies that supplied the parts to the plants as far as I know.

Also it would be a big assumption on our part to assume that the dating patterns of a completely different company would match what Ford and other sub contractors used.

Just one of those current mysteries. but as I wrote above (having owned a dozen or so of these and pictures of many more ) I’m comfortable with my statement until additional information turns up

Dave - Do you know if the stripes on your shaft were original to the car, and if so, what color are they? (Color-challenged vision.)

Dave - Yes, the stripes are original, colors are green and white. When I cleaned the shaft the stripes and stencil were amazingly well preserved. I touched them up trying to match colors as best I could, the green isn't as dark as it looks in the pic. I had the shaft retubed because it had some dents and was causing some vibration issues.

Dave
    6S1757

• Unfortunately my original tube pictured above is long gone but I did replicate the stripes and stencil as best I could on the retubed shaft. Here are the measurements which agree very well with calculated measurements made from the picture.

- Stripe width: 1.0"

- Distance between stripe centers: 2.25"

- Distance of the white stripe center to tube end: 4.75"

- Number width: 0.75"

- Number height: 1.0"

I used the number 8 for the stencil measurements.

Edited by - Mad4HiPos on 01/26/2009 16:17:58

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!