4 SPEED SHIFTER CABLE

• i have 68 4 speed shifter handle that i would like to have re-chromed. how do you remove the reverse lockout cable from inside the shifter ,i removed the reverse pull knob but cant get the cable out, can i leave it in and still have it chromed.

• The bad news is - you can't. The good news is - there is a company that will do it for a nominal fee of course. I can't remember their name but I think they were located on the east coast.

Jim

• The fellow on the east coast is Bill Heeley. He reconditions the handles and the shifters. Nice guy and easy to deal with:

3621 Mt. Olney Lane

Olney, MD 20832

(301) 774-6710

• Hi,

Sent two shifters to Bill Heeley and got them back a few days

ago. Excellent work and a nice guy to do business with.

Have a question for you. He puts on a rubber or plastic bushing

over and under the reverse sleeve and I wonder if these shifters

came with those originally. I know that Ford used them on

NOS replacement shifters because I bought one in a box many years ago

and it had those bushings. However, I have never seen them

on an original. Could it be that they just have worn out over the

years. Thanks for your help.

/Bo

• Yes,to all your questions. If you send him the

boot he will put it on for you as well.

He did two of my shifters a few weeks ago and I sent him two

NOS boots and he put them on. Excellent work!!

/Bo

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Thanks guys, i will give him a call .

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>I got the cable out by soaking the handle in penetrating oil, then cut a metal coat hangar and used it to push out the retainer washer from the top slot hole in the handle out the bottom ,then remove the cable and washer together,

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I don't mean to hijack, but how do you get the "T" trigger out of a '65 style handle in order to change the shifter boot?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>There is a small drift pin that retains the cable to the T trigger, you remove that pin/the shifter ball and lock nut/ then slide your new boot over the handle,

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!