Pony interior/ Deluxe mirror??

• Has anyone else noticed that most early (65-66) Mustangs with legitimate Deluxe (Pony) interiors have the deluxe outside remote mirror, and cars with the standard interior have the standard manual outside mirror??

• Yup, another '66 with the pony interior, regular mirror. Very few options on my car. 2-speed wipers, rally pack, automatic, am radio and a few others.

• Just a few comments on the subject, hope they are accurate:

As already stated, the visibility group (remote-control driver's-door mirror, day/night inside rearview mirror, two-speed electric wipers and windshield washers, $36) and the interior decor group (pony interior, including a large number of interior upgrades, $107) were separate options and each would have had to be individually ordered to have it on any particular 1965 car.

The visibility group and therefore, the remote control mirror was available early in 1965 production. However, the interior decor group was not available until March or April of 1965, date depending on who you believe... if anyone actually knows. Therefore, there were many 1965 Mustangs with a remote-mirror but no pony interior... ORIGINALLY that is! In fact, production numbers I've seen show that no "early 1965 (referred to as 64 1/2) and less than 10 percent of 1965 Mustangs built from September, 1964 on, had the pony interior. Surely there were many more cars with the visibility group built.

However, as we all well know, thousands of Mustangs have been restored and "upgraded" to the pony interior in the process. But not necessarily the remote control mirror as that was NOT part of the pony interior package so may have often been overlooked. Many cars "upgraded" to the pony interior package did not get ALL the interior decor items... it has been common to do the pony seats and a couple of other items and ignore the rest when "upgrading" during restoration.

In light of this information it is pretty tough to connect the pony interior to the remote-control mirror. Original or faithfully (if there are many of those) restored cars may have either or both and other restorations may also have either or both... but only if they have build dates after the March/April availability of the pony interior.

What you may conclude is that there are NO "early 1965 Mustangs" legitimately with the pony interior but there are probably many with the remote-control mirror. My '65 is too early for the GT package or pony interior but it does have the visibility group.

What you may be noticing is the "upgraded" restored cars upon which many options have been added including the pony interior and remote-control mirror.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Has anyone else noticed that most early (65-66) Mustangs with legitimate Deluxe (Pony) interiors have the deluxe outside remote mirror, and cars with the standard interior have the standard manual outside mirror??

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Edited by - LuvKcodes on 03/19/2007 00:11:53

• Hello all...Just chiming in here......My 65 K has a 6/1/65 scheduled build date and is a factory pony interior car. Also has the visibility group w/remote mirror. Ed

• I have two 66 Hipo GT fastbacks with pony interior and one of them has standard mirrors. I have had five other 65 and 66 Hipo GT pony interior fastbacks and convertibles and all of them had the visibiliy group originally.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Hi all.

My 65 has a build date of April the 6th, 1965. My kar has factory Pony interior and the visibility group and all the original paperwork that goes with it such as the window sticker and bill of sale.

Regards,

RP

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!