oil cap, closed emission

• does anyone have a pic of the oil filler cap with the hose on it going to air filter. 66 san josa mustang. I want to be sure I get correct, I believe I have correct cap but I need to get hose

• I had that style cap, but was told it was wrong and I lost points at mca. The new cap I was told belonged on car is of smaller diameter with tube coming off it an pointing upward part #C5ZZ6766DR car is a early 66

• I'm not sure about a 66 but my 64.5 has the cap with the hose fitting at 90 degrees. I have not been able to find the correct cap but I will check out the number you posted. Laki

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I had that style cap, but was told it was wrong and I lost points at mca. The new cap I was told belonged on car is of smaller diameter with tube coming off it an pointing upward part #C5ZZ6766DR car is a early 66

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Sorry, I thought you were talking about a 66 HiPo cap. If not a HiPo then the smaller diameter, upturned spout cap may be correct for your car. Bob Mannel's SBF book has all the info on this. If you are referring to a HiPo cap then the wide cap with a straight spout, like the pic above, is correct for closed emissions.

Dave
    6S1757

• car is a k-code hipo, judges at national said it should have this smaller cap with up turned tube. I had the wide cap as in previous pic, they took point off for being incorrect.

• The original on my 66 with a 6C dated base is identical to the picture above.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Maybe Charles or Jeff can comment on this but I believe the judges at national were wrong. I've never seen a closed emissions 66 k-code or 66 GT350 that didn't have the setup in the picture.

Dave
    6S1757

• I would be interested in there input, I would hate to change it only to loose a point again. maybe the one with the up turned pipe is for a non k code. although pic of engine bottom page 59 in hipo book shows that style cap rather than other, minus the emmission tube?

• I've got no problem with the breather assy as shown in the picture above (and would expect the same) on a San Jose K code assemblied during 66 production.

Not sure who "judges at national" means

Edited by - J_Speegle on 02/02/2007 00:55:58

• In California, all the 64½-66 used the air breather cap as shown in the picture. It will have a FoMoCo stamping on top, or covered over with a decal. The turned up spout is for the standard air cleaner. For the judge saying it was the wrong cap, it would be interesting to see how he would have managed the connection between the turned up spout to the fitting under the air cleaner....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!