pinion snubber bracket

• Best I can tell (based on all the ones we’ve tracked), the metal brackets that place the bumper in the approximate correct position come in two basic shapes. The earlier shape is squared and the later is slanted and notched. They both apparently come in different depths depending on the application.

The later style you see frequently listed on ebay for 68-70 big blocks and Boss cars is approx 3 1/4" deep and has the C9 bumper. I still have the one that was on the 70 Boss2 I used to own so I believe this to be correct.

When I started my search, I bought a notched/C9 setup that was advertised as correct for a HiPo. Once it came in with the C9 bumper and I realized it was the same as the Boss2 one, I decided to do some research and ask some questions.

I was told the square version with a C3 bumper is correct. Some rear end pictures of cars for sale on ebay seemed to confirm the square shape. I bought a pumpkin off a 67 S-code car (dated 6M) with the square bracket that is 3 1/4" deep. A later rear end listed on auction referenced a 2 5/8” bracket, which led me to ask a couple of members to measure theirs. Both measured approx 2 5/8”

So my understanding is, based on discussions with some of our members and research from what we’ve tracked, the correct ones for the 65-66 HiPo are squared and approx 2 5/8" deep.

I've since bought a complete 65 rear, a 66 dated pumpkin with C4 equalock/3.5 gears, and a 65 pumpkin dated with open 3.5 gears all having the 2 5/8" square bracket with C3 bumpers. The one on the complete 65 rear was slightly different with only one step while the other two had an extra slight step at the very bottom.

Ending up with extras, I cleaned and sold the ones I didn’t need.

Any other thoughts/comments/corrections?

• Functionally, would the 5/8 be enough difference that it would make the snubber not hit the plate on the underside of the car? Just curious, as I need one and could live with slight incorrectness, especially if it means not paying an arm and a leg for a correct part.

• I think that is a correct early one. The later one is deeper and has another step down on the right side of the bracket if you are facing the yoke from the driveshafts point of view.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Is this one of the later styles?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>That's the correct, early style.

This link has a good picture of the later style. Notice how it is notched on the edges and one side is slanted in stead of square.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/…em=320019008075

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I think that is a correct early one. The later one is deeper and has another step down on the right side of the bracket if you are facing the yoke from the driveshafts point of view.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Any ideas on when the "later" early style appeared? My late March 66 original bracket has two steps downs on each side making it more symmetrical than the earlier style pictured above.

This is not to be confused with the Boss, BB later style shown on the ebay auction above that has the slanted and notched side.

Dave
    6S1757

• To add to that, the 67 bracket I bought was like the one you have as the 66 style except it was 3 1/4" instead of 2 5/8". It was supposedly from a 67 big block car but the guy couldn't remember if it was a Mustang or Fairlane.

• thanks for the links- i thought i had seen a discussion about the differences. i guess the later style will work for now. gotta control that axle hop! will do a concourse resto in the future. persuing my boss 351 project at the moment. love those solid lifters! see that 65 k convert on the 'bay- door tag very suspicious. rgds david

• Thank you......

Matches my car.....except the two bolt holes shown in the picture are occupied on my car with bolts holding an L Bracket to the bumper plate.

Can't seem to figure out how to copy a pic to this just yet. I have one, just not bright enough to figure out how to attach.

AB

• Been reading some of the old posts on the proper pinion snubber brackets and my 66 march 65 build car has the boss big block later style snubber, I am not quite clear on the post as to which one would be the correct snubber for my car ( 65 type or 66 type) and where is the 2-5/8 " measurement taken from? Thanks Bob Moon

• Official Post

Bob, The production date of your Kar is confusing by the way you worded it "66 march 65 build car" and I will take it to actually mean that you have a March 66 Kar. If that is the case you will need the 66 style that is shown in the pictures. There are some earlier production 66 Kars that used the 65 style. The 2 5/8" measurement is from the back to front of the bracket and they do vary slightly from that. If you need one, I do have one available.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!