Details of T-5 swap in 65 hipo

• I am curious about a T-5 swap in a 65 hipo. Exactly what all is changed? Does the floor need to be modified, ever a little bit, to accomodate the shifter? Will the reproduction or the stock shafter work with the factory console and factory rubber boot? When keeping the mechanical linkage for the cluth is it necessary to drill and tap the bellhousing? Will the factory crossover h pipe and the stock factory dual exhausts pipes not hit the new crossmember? Does the speedometer cable need to be replaced, and is a change in routing needed. Will the stock clutch and pressure plate still be used,? Stock brass bushing in the flywheel? Which "kit" do all of you find to be the most complete and trouble free? I am interested in any changes that are needed that deviate from stock, no matter how minor. I know that many do this swap and love the results, am interested in what bridges need to be crossed and what problems/solutions others have experienced and overcome.

• Murf,

My 66 GT350 has a T5. The owener replaced the bellhousing, cross member, tailshaft. I believe the speedo cable was also replaced. I'm not sure whether you can use your existing bellhousing, cross member etc - maybe the previous owner thought it was easier just to keep all of the original unmodified bits for originality. No issues with the original headers.

You dont need to cut the floor. Not sure about the original consoles.

You can buy a stock looking shifter that attaches to the T-5 for the "factory" look. I have kept the stock knob. See below.

[Blocked Image: http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w124/brianna1998/2007_1209Image0026.jpg]

Regards

Rohan

• contact KAR Mustang in Columbus Oh. or check the site. they sell a complete kit, including trans, for this install or any piece of the kit you may want. one of the other vendors has the complete instructions on the site but who that is escapes me at the moment.

• I did the T-5 swap for a customer a couple of years ago. The shifter comes out fine however the clutch linkage relied on a cable setup with a late model bellhousing to match the T-5 trans. It was a conversion kit that was used on the car. I never tried to use a stock vintage bellhousing with a T-5 trans. There is most likely some way to adapt it so that you can use your original clutch linkage but I have never tried.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Mustangs Unlimited and others sell an adapter plate to use the stock clutch and linkage with a T5. The input shaft of the T5 is about 1" longer than the stock Toploader - so you need this spacer to properly mount the tranny to the existing bell housing.

The T5 trans mount is in a different position so you need a new cross member. Not sure about the drive shaft or speedo-cable. You also need to be sure of which tranny you use - the regular T5 and the World Class T5 look similar, but rear mounting position is slightly different - so be sure to get the right cross member.

I haven't done a T5 swap, but have done an AOD swap - stock drive shaft worked for me but in this case you need to use the later model yoke (requires a special u-joint to work), needed a special speedo cable to keep the VSS sensor (for EFI computer), and a special cross member for the different rear mounting position. I made a custom linkage to use the early Mustang auto shifter with the AOD. I can give details and photos to anyone interested.

I also remember Mustang Monthly doing several articles on these swaps in the past - you might try seaching there website for info.

Ron Morris Performance also offers some of the swap pieces for late model stuff going into early 'stangs.

I hope this helps.

• I inspected a 65 Hipo fastback in Kansas City area a couple of weeks ago that has a T5 trans in it. It is the first one that I have seen that was done the way I feel that it should be done. It had an adaptor plate from the trans to the stock 65 bellhousing. That made all of the clutch linkage work as original. I really like that far better than the cable conversions used with a bellhousing from a later car with a T5.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I put a Ford RacingT-5 in my k code and have really liked it except for one thing. I had 3:80:1 rear end and had to change my rear end ratio to 3:25:1 . Now it is more like a new 2009 GT in how it drives. another thing I did was to pull the original long yoke and put in a short yoke out of a 72 pickup, this way I could use a stock driveline for a C-4 automatic and shelve my original driveline. Also put in a centerforce presure plate and disk. I hate it, the finger type hipo unit is the only way to go.

• Oh P.S. I have a 5 bolt block and used the adaptor plate method because it is the only way to make it work. I had to bend the H-pipe to clear the new lower bracket and cut a slightly bigger hole sidways in the tunnel to make it fit. I used a Hurst shifter and had to have the stock type shift stick made to fit it. with 3:80:1, I could almost do wheel stands and it was real hard on the clutch.

-Scott-

• My friend has a 66 convertible that he put a WC T-5 in. He used the adapter to fit the original bellhousing. Requires drilling and tapping one hole in the bellhousing to mount the adapter, unseen from the outside. All the original clutch linkage fit fine. Shifter fit fine with no trimming (stock style handle to fit T-5, looks stock till you see 5th gear in the knob. Driveshaft needed to be shortened 1 inch. After driving it I'm very tempted to do it to my Koupe.

• I have the exact same setup as mentioned above by Mu5tanggt in my 65 Fastback. Was done back in 97 when I was restoring the car as best I could with limited knowledge back then. Was always curious why the dealer I got the T5 from was so keen to take my toploader as a straight swap for the 5-speed. I thought he was just being a good bloke at the time......

Have never thought about going back in the past 12-13 years as the thing drives like a champ with the 5-speed. Would probably rather now that I'd paid for the T5 outright though and held onto my 4-speed! I've even shifted country with the car since then (NZ to Aus) so NO CHANCE of ever seeing that one again....

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!