alternator belt tension

• What do you use to get that alternator belt nice and tight. That big ALT pulley makes it hard to get enough leverage to get it nice and tight. Every time a i fire the motor up cold, I get that annoying squeak. Any help? Thanks.

• Perhaps the belt is worn ?

I am a convert to running a belt only just tight enough, as to rebuild waterpumps is often expensive and parts are hard to come by.

On my Elan the cylinder head, front cover and oil pan have to come off to rebuild the waterpump so I would rather have a few charging problems than a ton of work.

• i have a turnbuckle with fittings on each end that fit inside the pulleys. i adjust the belt tension until there is 3/8 to 1/2 inch deflection in the longest section of the belt.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

i have a turnbuckle with fittings on each end that fit inside the pulleys. i adjust the belt tension until there is 3/8 to 1/2 inch deflection in the longest section of the belt.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I got one of those too. That's why I use a prybar. If I take more than a minute pr two to do this, I've wasted time.

Jim

• I have my belt adjusted fully to the end of the bracket and the belt is still loose. Seems the belt is almost too big. Anyone else have this issue with the Kevin Marti repro belts?

Phil.

• Phil, I am unaware of a problem with Martis repro belt although it could certainly be an issue. I would first check the stamping numbers on your crank pulley, water pump pulley, alternator pulley and alternator adjusting arm. If any of those are incorrect, your belt would not adjust properly. What length belt did you get from Marti? The correct length is 41 1/2 inches on a Hipo for 65 and 66.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!