New member, new Arvinode exhaust

• OK, thanks to this great forum, I decided to put the Arvinode on our family 65 K GT Vert. It just had a bad manifold to H-pipe gasket, but mission creep led to a new H-pipe from NPD and exhaust back from there. A couple notes regarding the installation:

1) NPD was not clear on selling me the correct system for a 65 GT so I bought straight from Waldron's

2) The H-pipe hung down way too low, so I had to have a local muffler shop put an extra 7 degrees of bend into the intermediate pipes between the H and the mufflers, making more room to pull the mufflers and therefore the H-pipe up closer to the floor

3) Waldron's agreed to put a 2" exit on the resonators to accommodate some non-standard diameter piping going into the GT tips

4) I welded the H-pipe, intermediate pipes, and mufflers into a single piece, then used 360 degree Torctite band clamps to attach the rest of the components back, should I want to disassemble more easily later on.

5) It has a great old school sound. Pretty mellow up to about 3K, then you either get a nice burble up to 1/2 throttle, or a full-on rap above 1/2 throttle. The rap is a bit much, but every once in awhile it's pretty entertaining.

5A) Mine might be a little louder than normal due to the louvers being gone from the tips, and the fully 2" exhaust through the tips.

I put some clip on Youtube so fellow members might benefit, may need to cut and paste into your browser.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I have a few install pics too if anyone is interested. Thanks to HiPoMustang forum members for all the great exhaust info!

• Love it! Can't wait to check it out in person. Please, let's do this soon.

Welcome to the site - glad you are finally here.

Troy

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

2) The H-pipe hung down way too low, so I had to have a local muffler shop put an extra 7 degrees of bend into the intermediate pipes between the H and the mufflers, making more room to pull the mufflers and therefore the H-pipe up closer to the floor

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I saw a 65 last year that had a new h-pipe and the Arvinode exhaust. From a distance, the system was so low it looked like the car had headers hanging down. When I got closer to look at it, I saw what it was and thought he had the pipes upside down. Did not ask where he bought the parts, but h-pipes must need better QC.

Sounded fantastic though.

Edited by - 289kford on 07/28/2011 07:33:44

• If the H pipe was hanging too low it's the way the H pipe was fabricated as the part number for the Arvinode H pipe is the same as that of the other duals.

• Hi Cheesepocket, welcome to the forum. Nice car !

Any chance you could get your hands on a sound meter and give me a decibel reading standing 20 ft away from drivers door and with the engine turning 4500rpm ?

Thanks

• I have an SPL meter and an HD camera/tripod. I think it would be cool to compare this exhaust at various RPM and distances from the car with my stock GT exhaust. Too bad I can't get out of my neighborhood with my road conditions. Perhaps me and cheesepocket need to get geeky in the spring and make some videos.

• I bought H-pipe and arvinode from NPD. Had them fitted by my mechanic, they hung way too low, so I took it to exhaust shop who removed whole system and changed angles on H-pipe to allow system to sit closer to floor. Problem was the H-pipe angles so make sure it's right before welding anything!

Phil.

• Welcome and sounds great! I think your situation was very similar to mine and buying direct from Waldron was a very good experience. I also had the 2" exit on the resonators and had my muffler shop rebend things a little so it would go straight through the rear valance rather than make all the bends on the stock GT setup. Love the Arvinode!

Jack

• Well, I actually have a dB meter, but unfortunately the tach on the Rally Pack doesn't work. So I won't know how many RPM I'm turning. The other issue is that the dB vary greatly based on throttle position, from quiet to full-on straight pipe rap.

If I would have known that every new installation needed custom bending, I would have dreaded this project more. I've had other application specific exhausts on other cars bolt right in with no problems.

• The Arvinode is produced in very limited quantities and there aren't any full chassis jigs to reproduce them in one piece the way they were originally produced by Arvin. There has to be a competent mechanic involved to properly fit and weld the components when it comes to reproduction exhaust.

• I have to say that any trouble I went to for the system to fit right was worth every bit for the great sound on the road. Just fantastic!

Phil.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!