Original Generator or switch to Alternator?

• On a July 64 engine, a generator is required for originality. They are not expensive and appear to be plentiful but the large hipo pulley appears to be nonexistent. The tin shield was in the trunk of the car and is in fairly good condition. This is not going to be a concours show car but I would like it to be original in all reasonable respects. I'm not paying $950 plus for a NOS fuel pump like the no sale that just ended on ebay.

In lieu of a non hipo pulley what are people using or does anyone know where a hipo generator pulley can be purchased? Would it be advisable to switch it over to a '65 alternator system? I hate to think of changing out the underdash harness to a '65 but I do have a perfect one.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Isn't there a reproduction available? I thought that it was reproduced for Galaxie's?

You will significantly depreciate the value of a 64.5 K code by changing the wiring system.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Yes, there is/was a reproduction HiPO generator pulley made not to long ago. I saw it listed on eBay, and there wasn't any bids. I'll see if I can dig up any details and post it here.

• Charles, The Galaxie one is slightly different than the Mustang/Fairlane pulley. It is the same diameter as the Mustang/Fairlane pulley. The Galaxie takes one stamped with an FAP-A and it is a slightly different offset from the generator than the C3OF-B that is used on the Mustang/Fairlane application. The Galaxie one appears slightly different as well. I, like Gene, have seen a repro of the Mustang/Fairlane pulley on Ebay but it has been a while. As I recall they were machined from aluminum or possibly steel but they were not stamped out like the originals. I, like Charles, also saw the Galaxie repro pulley on Ebay.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I just looked at my 64.5 hipo generator and this might be a cheep way out. A repo alternator fan and hipo alternator pulley might fit the generator. I know the nut is interchangeable because I made one out of stainless and it fits both. Check the shaft sizes to be sure and you may need a spacer to line up the pulley, but it looks like this may work even if it isn't "correct". Tom

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Charles makes good sense. I'm going to keep it a generator car and keep looking for the correct pulley.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>I have been in contact with a rebuilder to rebuild , restamp and install the correct reproduction pulleys for 64.5 mustang k code generators, i will keep you posted, chuck.

• I just recently purchased on Ebay a hipo pulley for $240 that has the stamp FAP A2 and the ford oval logo and an S. Seller stated it was a ford replacement for a 64 427 equiped galaxy and 289 hipo. It looks identical and measures the same as a mustang hipo pulley. It just doesn't have the C30F-B stamp

Scott

• Scott, That pulley is the one that I was referring to as being similar, however the depth is shallower and it will possibly make the belt out of alignment.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Fred, the offset wasn't a problem. I just shaved off a 3/16" shim from the old 3 1/2' pulley I had on the generator; placed it behind the new one and it works fine. At least I now have a pulley that looks somewhat correct. Scott

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!