Parking brake handle.

• My parking brake handle has the raised "BRAKE" lettering, but is not highlighted in white paint. Is this accepted as correct or does the raised lettering have to be white?

Thanks. Phil.

• Phil:

I've used "Testor's" white model paint and model brush and use what is known as a "dry brush" application technique. This is where you dip the end of the brush in a small amount of paint (what I do is shake the paint bottle for about a minute.. remove the cap and use what paint remains in the cap to dip the brush).. then I essentially wipe the brush dry so only a very small amount of paint remains on the bristles... then using a very light touch gently wipe each letter... this will leave a light coating of paint. You will have to do several coats to get the effect you want. It is very easy to just apply the paint to the top of the letters. I have had good results on a number of handles... send me your email and I will send you photos of what I did. (still can't figure out how to post pictures on this thread) hope this helps

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Phil:

I've used "Testor's" white model paint and model brush and use what is known as a "dry brush" application technique. This is where you dip the end of the brush in a small amount of paint (what I do is shake the paint bottle for about a minute.. remove the cap and use what paint remains in the cap to dip the brush).. then I essentially wipe the brush dry so only a very small amount of paint remains on the bristles... then using a very light touch gently wipe each letter... this will leave a light coating of paint. You will have to do several coats to get the effect you want. It is very easy to just apply the paint to the top of the letters. I have had good results on a number of handles... send me your email and I will send you photos of what I did. (still can't figure out how to post pictures on this thread) hope this helps

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Flat white paint seems to be the closest. Sand the letters lightly then paint as above. If you make an error on a letter, let it dry, scrape off the bad part and reapply.

Jim

• Thanks to all for your replies. I was able to find a NOS handle and changed it over. The NOS one only had a hole in one side for the pin, so I had to shorten the pin to make it flush and not slice a finger each time is it used!

Certainly looks much better with the painted letters.

Thanks again.

Phil.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!