Correctly installing ball joint rivets

• Any suggestions for installing new rivets on the uper and lower control arms when replacing ball joints. The originals typically have a "knurled" pattern to one side of the rivet, and has a very distinct look that is seldom duplicated. AMK and other sources have the rivets , but how can the installed look of the originals be duplicated? Is there a tool available for this process? Has anyone been able to copy the look of the original rivets with a home made or commercial tool?

• call max at amk. he used to rebuild them. their is also a guy in indiana that charges 1500 bucks to do them, I have to try and dig up his name

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Any suggestions for installing new rivets on the uper and lower control arms when replacing ball joints. The originals typically have a "knurled" pattern to one side of the rivet, and has a very distinct look that is seldom duplicated. AMK and other sources have the rivets , but how can the installed look of the originals be duplicated? Is there a tool available for this process? Has anyone been able to copy the look of the original rivets with a home made or commercial tool?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Any suggestions for installing new rivets on the uper and lower control arms when replacing ball joints. ...............Has anyone been able to copy the look of the original rivets with a home made or commercial tool?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

No - have not been able to to do it at home. Would require machining a tool to reproduce the correct look of the finished product and a press big enough to compress the rivet safely/enough

Rare Parts in Stockton CA

• Friendly FYI... if the pink is applied to the ends, it was usually sprayed, not swiped. I have never seen this on factory control arms though, only on service replacements. Also, the whole end of the control arm was dipped, with the sleeve and caps installed.

• To comtinue with Ralphs response, the tab is always there on any OEM original or any replacement spring perch.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Thanks fellas

I looked at mine again, there is a tab, but looks shorter than the ones in the pic and how it comes off the platform is different.

Also the outer end of the platform on Kenyons has an outward curve to it, whereas mine have an inward curve, like a scallop out of the platform.

I was trying to find out if mine were OEM, assuming Kenyon would not go to the trouble of rebilding a repro part - mine are not the same,

as the bushes need replacing I will try to source some correct ones.

• So other then some question on paint being correct on the A-arm ball joint rivet looks GOOD.Guess the next question should be how much do you charge to do such a set,install ball joint that is?

• Install upper ball joint. $45. per control Arm

Rivits $ 10.00 set of 8

Correct upper ball joint boot. $5.95 plus shipping C7OE#

Moog upper ball Joint $59.95 ea

Moog upper control arm bushing kit $49.95

Restore upper control arm ( depending on servicability) $200.Less parts.[ KEEP IN MIND SOME ARE JUST WORE OUT ]

I think this is resonable pricing.

I guess if a person were sending me a set all ready to go less installing owner supplied Moog ball Joints it would cost $100. to get them rivited in. That is of course less shipping back to owner. FEEL FREE TO CALL Bill @ 1-217-498-6945

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!