4-speed shift lever repair

• How do I remove the "t" handle reverse lock out on the shift lever so it will go into the shifter boot.

I have read a couple articles but cannot find a good explaination on how this is done

• Oh, are you saying that all I need to do is "stretch" the boot over the reverse lock out "T" handle? I thought I would need to remove the "T" handle to get it on.

• Thanks for the warning. The console installation will be a task I will not be looking forward to. I will always be interested in suggestions to install that console. I have "dry" fitted the console and so far so good. What do you guys do regarding drilling the holes through the carpet. When I placed the console in the car I first located the two 1/4 holes for the front bracket to make sure it was in the correct place then I went ahead and drilled the 6 holes in to the tranny tunnel. When I go back a install the console I will need to locate those 6 1/8" holes using an ice pick or something like that. Do I just punch the screws through the carpet to start the treading into the holes. I know if I use a drill bit to drill thought the carpet, that could cause a problem. Any suggestions?

• I punch the holes with an awl after I fit the console. An ice pick will work but the shaft may come out of the handle if it gets stuck. Drilling a hole usually causes carpet damage. With the shifter plate out, you should have enough play to make it fit. Use a coat hanger to fish the console feed cable from the firewall to the shifter area - first. Remember that the shifter arm is held to the mechanism by two shoulder bolts.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>What do you guys do regarding drilling the holes through the carpet. Any suggestions?<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>To avoid the carpet to drill problem I've always used an ice pick to locate the holes (poking them from the underside of the tranny tunnel) then carefully with a solder gun, melt & seal each hole through the carpet.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://s4.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!