Marti Plug Wires??

• I have bought a set of repro plug wires from NPD that were made by Marti Auto Works, I am being told that they are a little too long for the application-(1965 289 K)has anyone else found this situation with Marti's wires?

• Kevin tells me that HE HAS the ORIGINAL FORD blueprints/drawings/measurements for these wires and unless something catastrophic (sp) happened during the manufacturing of the set I bought that they should be spot on.

Has anyone purchased repro wires for the 289 HIPO that were NOT manufactured by Marti Auto Works??

• I have used several sets and am still running a pair

on my 65. Used the same on my 67 and it worked fine but

after driving with Pertronix for a few years I added

Pertronix coil and finally Pertronix ignition wires.

Guess what, the wires made a lot of difference in smoothness,

trottle response, idle and fuel consumption.

/Bo

• I had a fit problem with my last set but there wasn't anything wrong with the Marti wires. I'm running a cam with the 351W firing order and three of the wires were either too long or short. Contacted Marti about it and they made me three custom wires, correctly numbered and everything.

Dave
    6S1757

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Guess what, the wires made a lot of difference in smoothness,

trottle response, idle and fuel consumption.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I've experienced the same when going to modern-type plug wires.

• I measured a set on a 1964 Fairlane HiPo engine. Should be close. This is a production set, not a service replacement across the parts counter. Results were:

1 - 28-3/4"

2 - 24-1/2"

3 - 26-7/8"

4 - 24-1/8"

5 - 25"

6 - 26-1/2"

7 - 25"

8 - 28"

I will see if I can locate any additional information.

• A bit more follow-up. When I measured these wires, as best as I can remember, I measured from the end of the wires sticking out of the distributor cap boot to where the wire ended inside the spark plug boot. So, for overall length, one-half inch could be added for including the length of the spark plug boot.

All the boots on these wires were straight. On the 1964 Durability Comet that was in Harrah's Auto Museum at the time I examined it, the HiPo wires all had straight boots. When I looked at some NOS sets of HiPo wires, all had a couple angled boots. So, I believe that there was a difference between production HiPo wire sets and service replacement (NOS) sets. If you have a Mustang HiPo with original wires (not NOS service replacements), it would be good to document the length and type boots (angled or straight) that were used. In 1963 and 1964, I believe all original HiPo wires (excluding Ford service replacements) had straight boots. I don't have any evidence for 1965 and later.

Also, the routing of the wires generally followed the following rules:

Passenger's side wires went through both wire separators in a 1,2,3,4 order.

Driver's side wires went through both separators in a 7,5,6,8 order. #7 then went over 5,6 on its way to the spark plug. This routing is supported by vintage magazine pictures, the 1964 & 1965 engine assembly manuals, and my observation of low mileage originals.

• Bob, This is GREAT info!!!! Thanks very much for sharing!!!!

We going to see/meet you at Charlotte next month?? if so I'll bring my book and ask you to autograph it....

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I measured a set on a 1964 Fairlane HiPo engine. Should be close. This is a production set, not a service replacement across the parts counter. Results were:

1 - 28-3/4"

2 - 24-1/2"

3 - 26-7/8"

4 - 24-1/8"

5 - 25"

6 - 26-1/2"

7 - 25"

8 - 28"

I will see if I can locate any additional information.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Bob,

You didn't happen to transpose the numbers for cylinders 1 through 4?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Driver's side wires went through both separators in a 7,5,6,8 order. #7 then went over 5,6 on its way to the spark plug. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

For those that may not have encountered this before, Ford split 7 & 8 in the loom as Bob has noted to separate two wires that were sequential in the firing order; 15426378. It is possible for two wires in close physical proximity and sequence in firing order to cross fire. I've never had it happen, but it's a valid theory and a reason to separate the wires.

• My notebook in which I originally wrote the numbers is #1 as 28-3/4" and #4 as 24-1/8". This does make sense as 4 is an easy direct route since the spark plug terminal faces forward. On the number one, the wire must go forward, then loop around to attach to the spark plug. Remember that this is on an original set with all straight boots. There was no angled boot on #1 to shorten the distance.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!