Ford Script Headlights??

• I have a set of what I believe are original Tung-Sol brand seald beam headlights with the "FORD" script in the center of the lens.

I am trying to find out if these were original to 1965 Mustangs, and if any headlights are reproduced with the "FORD" script logo on them??

• Yea, one of mine is from a '62 Falcon as well.

I am told that the new repros are Wagner, and I don't think they were around back in the early 60s making headlights anyway, and I don't know if they have the Ford script or not.

• The original headlights used by ford in 64, 65 and 66 were branded in the center. Some had the FORD in the oval "cast" into the glass, and the ones that seem to be more common beginning sometime in late 65 or early 66 had the logo etched in the center of the bulb. The original lights differ from later sealed beams because the vertical lines, or perhaps they are called flutes, are further apart then the later sealed beams. These are the lines that one sees that are vertical on the front of the sealed beams. Also each original sealed beam was stamped with a "made for Ford Motor Company" along with the date on the rear of the bulb, look on the uper portion of the back. This stamping is very delicate and can be removed while cleaning the lights, so be careful and not destroy it if it is still there. There was more than one supply source for the Ford script lights, and the supplier logo is normally found on the lower part of the face or at times stamped in ink on the rear near the date and "made for Ford" printing. Probably have some images of this detail but am too stupid to include them with this post. The repos are very obvious because the fluted lines are much closer together and can be noticed while walking by a car. The reproductions are all of the "etched" variety. I have noticed many original bulbs were made by Tung Sol and GE, there may have been other supply sources as well. It would be interesting to know how many verified sources Ford used.

Edited by - Murf on 12/25/2008 10:35:26

• Murf, Thanks for the great info as always!!

Idiot that I am I already cleaned up the headlight and removed the writing on the back which did say made for Ford.....

There was a date as far as I can remember of 1960 or 61 (this one came from a 1962 Falcon that I had some years ago that I saved the headlight for my K code.

I'm seeing that it says "FOMOCO" on the front center of the lens and I think its etched much like writing is on windsheilds, and NOT stamped/embossed into the glass, I have anouther one of these at my restorers place and have him checking it to see if it matches the one I have....BTW they BOTH work on low and high beams!!-I think with a little more cleaning and polishing that these headlights will work great in my Kar!

Do the repros have "FOMOCO" on the lens? what brand is most common in repros?

• My observation of orginal headlights used by Ford in 1964,65,and 66 indicates that some DIDN'T have the branding (FOMOCO) in the center of the bulb, only the words General Electric at the bottom of the bulb. Those General Electric bulbs only displayed the name at the bottom of the headlamp and on the back side of the bulb as mentioned eariler was the wording made for Ford with the date. The other General Electric seal beams of that period did have the word FOMOCO eteched in the center and General Electric at the bottom center of the bulb. Ford was also using Westinghouse sealed beams during that time. The Westinghouse bulbs had the word Fomoco embossed under the glass at the center of the bulb and the bottom of the Westinghouse bulb in the center has only the letter (W). I think Ford Motor Company was also using Sylvania and Tung-Sol during that time but, I don't have a lot of information about them. As stated eariler the lines on the orginals are very different from the Wagner bulbs. I also DON'T THINK that Wagner was producing headlamps in 1964,65 and 66 as such it is easy to determine an orginal headlamp from a reproduction as Murf stated by looking at the glass lines. My 02

• So if I install 2 matching TUNG-SOL headlights with the FOMOCO script etched in the center of the lens on my July 1965 Mustang no one will question the originality of them??

And one more time....do what ever brand the repros are have the FOMOCO script on them?? I would think if they do they would have to be licensed from FORD??

• The repros are standard and not Halogen.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• OK, I've found out that I have a mis-matched set of originals, 1 Tung-Sol, and 1 Westinghouse, so if anyone can use 1 or both of these to put with anouther you have or anyone has 1 or the other they would like to sell me that would be great either way!

In other words I need to end up with a matched set-brand wise.

Will I loose points in concours if I install Halogens??

• I forgot to mention that the 64 Galaxies also used the 4 headlight setup with the cast FOMOCO logo cast in the center.I found most of the Large cast bulbs(2 bulb setup) on pre 64 Falcons. Don't know if it is a generator equipped cars thing or not. Have a original set on my 67 GTA A code Fastback that are etched on the center and date coded in ink on the back. Be real careful cleaning as the ink will be easily wiped off. Hope that helps.

• I got a call from a friend this weekend that purchased a 1966 Mustang C Code coupe with 42,000 orginal miles. I went to see the car and noticed that it has one head lamp that's eteched in the center with the FOMOCO logo and at the bottom of the bulb it has the words Seal Beam. It appears that Seal Beam was another manufacture of head lamps for Ford.

• Richard every original one I have (no matter the vendor/maker) has SEALED BEAM cast into the bottom portion.

Just found a pair of working TS (Tung-Sol) ones in a yard last month

They have the SEALED BEAM

• "Sealed Beam" indicates the type of construction. Meaning the bulb is not replaceable. Tung Sol, Westinghouse? (think I have seen this brand) , and General Electric seem to be the predominate brands who "made for Ford" in that era although there may be others.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!