Fuel pump rebuilding

• Wow!! I just came across this old thread! wanted to say again just how much I appreciate having my 3939S done by Fred in the very first group! like others have said its ready for anouther 45 years then most of us won't care-(LOL)

People at shows ask me where I got an original 3939S pump and I tell them IT is THE original from my car/engine (289Hipo)

Quick story about my pump:(car was originally my Brother-In-Law's)(he purchased in 1972 we think) he drove from Floridas east coast to Mexico back then-(never really had any anti-freeze in the cooling system) so on the way back near San Fran, CA the timing cover corroded through and he limped into a junkyard for a replacement and all they had was one from an older 260 engine with ITS aftermarket aluminum water pump-(original pump was cast iron)so they removed the fuel pump by unbolting it and letting it hang while they replaced the timing cover then re-installed the 3939S pump, and when I removed the engine from the car back in 1985 I was the one who cut the original rubber hose with the original crimped on clamp.this is MY story & I'm stickin to it!

• Official Post

I have some bad news regarding my source for uncrimping and recrimping these pumps as they quit doing them. I saw this coming but was sad to see them quit. I do have good news as well, though. The previous source referred me to another local source and they are working with me in the same way as the past source. This means that I will still be able to continue restoring these pumps with the same results as before, at least for now. I am now gathering pumps for a fifth run. I have now done over 250 of them.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Fred, You can't stop now you know, at least until you have rebuilt every fuel pump that needs rebuilding!! (LOL) GREAT GOING!! didn't realize you were about to do a 5th run!! Keep up the good work!!

• Dave, I do not generally have Hipo fuel pumps available. I mostly just restore other peoples pumps. I do have excellent restored pumps that are acceptable clones as they appear the same as the Hipo on the car but are lacking the Hipo number and the second spring. Unless you are racing your Hipo, the second spring is not a factor.

Here are a couple of examples of my pumps on Ebay:

1965 style

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/…K%3AMESELX%3AIT

1966/1967 style

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/…K%3AMESELX%3AIT

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• I am now gathering pumps for a seventh rebuilding run. I will keep doing these as long as I am able to do them. I completed three runs last year. Please contact me if you have interest in this.

661-251-2362

fredsclassics@hotmail.com

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Just to add my two cents.... I received my pump from Fred a few weeks ago and I am more than pleased with the result... Thank you Fred for what you did...

I would recommend that anyone looking to have their pump done should get with Fred... He is great to work with, does what he says, when he says he will do it and the quality of his work is great.. Posted by an obviously satisfied customer...!!

• Agreed!

I have had two pumps rebuilt by Fred now, and both are perfect in appearance and operation. Such a great project of his that means a lot of freshly restored pumps in service for another 40+ years...

Fred : How many have you actually rebuilt now? Over 500 yet?

Thanks again.

• Very Cool!!!! Anouther run in the offing!!!!!

Fred, Do you do any type of advertising? or is it just word of mouth from folks on the websites that you frequent? just curious.

• In regards to the question regarding whether I advertise this service, no, I do not. It is just from people on the forums and their word of mouth to other people. I do not advertise because it already is quite a job and this is not all that I do in life. I took it on as a challenge and I enjoy it for that reason. I have done well over 300 of these crimped type pumps so far. I wish to thank everyone for their positive input on all of this. That makes it all worthwhile.

-Fred-

65 Ranchero 289 4 speed

• Just also want to say that I am very pleased with Fred's job of rebuilding my fuel pump. It looks great. Everyone at my local Mustang club liked how it looked. I haven't installed it on the car yet but plan to soon.

Chris

1965 Honey Gold Mustang Fastback

Edited by - 5R09ACCV on 01/14/2011 14:01:48

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!