Tape on washer bag cap?

• Charles,

This is a factory photo from Shelby and the only

question is if Ford in San Jose or Shelby put

it on the cars. I have seen other photos from 65 Shelbys

show this tape as well. Never seen it on a 65 HiPo though

which points toward Shelby.

/Bo

• If I remember correctly SFM5S142 had a piece of green tint cloth tape on the washer reservoir cap and some place else around the unused battery area (but can't recall anymore)in the engine bay. I seem to recall dished rubber plugs in two large holes in the unused battery area, but that was a long time ago...........

Dan

• Here's another Shelby American publicity pic of the cap tape. This must be an early preproduction car since it has no Shelby VIN tag. Is it possible the tape was put on at least all SJ cars for shipment and was meant to be removed by the dealer? Since both photos shown in this thread are SA publicity photos these cars would not have been delivered to dealers yet.

[Blocked Image: http://www.1965gt350mustang.com/temp/tape.jpg]

Dave
    6S1757

• Have found pieces and remains on Mustangs built at San Jose over the year many years ago. Likely will not be able to post a picture (way before digital became handy) or a VIN. Sometimes it was just the remaining adhesive.

Only couple in person over the years.

Recall it was the same black friction tape we are used to seeing on an early Mustang

Edited by - J_Speegle on 12/19/2007 20:52:51

• Before Jeffs' current post I would have thought that San Jose might have put the tape on as the cars were shipped without hoods. Maybe they were having problems because of that. However if Jeff found other San Jose cars like this then I guess my theory is flawed. If San Jose did this on all of their cars, how did Ford expect the caps to stay on once the customer started driving the cars? This cap was not a new design in 1965 however windshield washers were not standard until 1966 so Ford might have not had enough history of any problems. Maybe that is why Ford went to the hinged cap by 1966.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• If the tape was found on cars other than Shelby knockdowns going to LA, perhaps the tape was used to keep the caps from falling off bags during packing and shipping.

• ....., how did Ford expect the caps to stay on once the customer started driving the cars? This cap was not a new design in 1965 however windshield washers were not standard until 1966 so Ford might have not had enough history of any problems. Maybe that is why Ford went to the hinged cap by 1966.

-Fred-

Interestingly, in the C5ZZ-17A603-B Washer Kits Ford sold before '66 there were not one, but 4 lids supplied. I guess Ford expected owners to keep the extras in the glove compartment for spares. I have a photo of everything supplied in one kit in the link below.

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2022193930080259586TFWcDl<i></i>

• It makes more sense to me that the tape would not be intended to keep the lid on after the car was sold. More likely put it there after adding fluid at the factory to make sure no cars left the factory without the fluid added and lid screwed on tight. In other words, more of a production process item. They likely didn't care whether it was removed by the dealer or not since eventually someone would have to add fluid.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!