Fastback fold down chrome trim

• Any advice for repairing the fold down seat chrome trim? Mine is pitted, including the piano hinges. I'm guessing the reproduction kits don't fit perfectly and are probably very thin. Can I have all these pieces rechromed? Can anybody make a recommendation on a plater?

Thanks!

Troy

• Depending on what year you have, the aftermaket replacement works fine (ref NPD 2007 Pg 9, 013016-3A, $229.95). For a 66, it's 100 pct complete. For an early 65, the front piece that has the bumpers, is different. For 67 on, the latch pieces are completely wrong even though the left hand side is included. To get your set completely re-chromed, figure on between $500 and $800. For my 65 Fastback, I made up a batch of parts to be chromed that met the shops minimum ($150) from a 67 Fastback (4 pieces) plus a few other items.

Jim

• I had my 66 set rechromed in the early 90's for about $425. Jim's estimate is probably more towards the higher end these days.

Dave
    6S1757

• The people who live in California, including myself, are lucky to get any chroming done as a lot of the good shops have closed down due to EPA regulations.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Did these costs include any of the other parts; piano hinge, latch knob, seat rests?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The new chrome set consists of 13 pieces including the hinge. There are 4 trim pieces per each of the three sections. The set does not include the latch or bumper cups/bracket. Consider this: buy the repro set and have the unique 65 front piece re-chromed. That should be about $70 to $80. If the shop you use has a minimum or lot charge, find another 65 Fastback owner that needs that piece done and that may make the minimum.

Note: the sheet metal screws that are used to attach the trim are coarse thread (52352-S13, 8-15X5/8 Oval Head, 5/16 dia head) which are not readily available. The available replacement is a fine thread screw (8-18X5/8 Oval Head, 5/16 dia head).

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Did these costs include any of the other parts; piano hinge, latch knob, seat rests?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

For my parts it was just the trim and hinge.

Dave
    6S1757

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!