minor underhood details

• This weekend I dug out the box that had my crankshaft pulley, water pump pulley, alternator brackets, coil... basically some of the first things I took off my engine a few years ago. I figured it would be a nice afternoon project to clean them up for painting. The smelly mouse nest in the box told me it was time to do something.

I am curious what people are using for paint on these items. The pulleys don't appear to have had engine paint on them, more of a flat, thin paint, not a glossy engine paint. I was thinking of using high-temp barbeque grill paint. Were these items originally painted on the car, and therefore should be glossy, or ?... The Ol' Yeller-top coil seems more glossy so I might use an engine paint there.

One other thing... I have an old repro fan shroud without the rubber pad. I've read the numerous previous posts about it. Is there someplace to get the staples and/or the pad, or should I just get the newer correct repro?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

One other thing... I have an old repro fan shroud without the rubber pad. I've read the numerous previous posts about it. Is there someplace to get the staples and/or the pad, or should I just get the newer correct repro?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I just swapped in a correct date coded radiator and decided to add the rubber pad to the Ford service replacement shroud at the same time while things were apart. I got staples that look pretty close at a hardware store and a chunk of correct thickness sheet rubber at a shoe repair place. For about $4 I think it looks at least as good as the repops.

Dave
    6S1757

• Believe you will find the flat high temp black way to flat for your purpose. Better shooting it IMHO with a quality semi-gloss black like Krylon (like semi-flat) with a thin coat. If you can you might choose (something I do on many spray pieces) to back the parts after that have dried a little

Hope this helps a little

Edited by - J_Speegle on 07/30/2007 16:41:18

• I usually make the little rubber pad out of the center section of a truck mudflap. The center parts are the correct thickness while the outside is thicker and makes a "frame" that surrounds the center. Any place that works in medium or heavy duty trucks will have these in the junk, and one mudflap will make enough of those little squares to supply you and all of the members of your Mustang club. The staples that work for me are stainless and available at most large builder supply stores. The "legs" are normally bent out rather than in like a conventional paper staple. I drill two tiny holes for each staple in the shroud and the rubber while they are clamped together, than push the staple through and bend the legs outward to duplicate the ford issue shroud. Look at an old shroud if you can locate one and you can get an idea of the construction details and placement. Better yet, someone on here may post an image of the real thing!

• The recomended is 20 to 40 percent gloss black, which equates to either satin black or semi-gloss black. Keep in mind that certain parts were dipped and hung to dry, mostly brackets, while others were sprayed. On pulleys, after I bead blast them, I wrap masking tape around the groves several times, then spray. This is close to the 'rubber band' mask Ford used and looks original when installed.

Jim

• Where is that going to be?

It kills me that my car won't be ready for driving nor showing for a couple years. I don't plan to have it judged since it will just be a "driver", but I'd like to be able to show it. BTW- the Denny's in Rogers has a classic cruise night once or twice a month.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Right off of 169 and 55 at that large office building with the huge windows that look like mirrors in the sky!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I work just a couple of miles west of there. Nice, close drive for you... Just long enough to warm up the kar.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!