Harmonic balancer removal??

• Can't get enough room to paint, so I want to remove my harmonic balancer. Can I do this without having to totally retune the car? I'm leaving my dizzy intact for the detailing. My HB does have a timing mark on it from when my mechanic just tuned it last spring. I was told that it had "spun out a bit", hence the need for him to find a reference point and paint a timing mark.

How do I go about removing this for paint and re-intalling it correctly?

Thanks,

Troy

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

My HB does have a timing mark on it from when my mechanic just tuned it last spring. I was told that it had "spun out a bit", hence the need for him to find a reference point and paint a timing mark.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

If your mechanic had to find a new timing reference then the rubber may be failing causing it to slip. Since you're taking it off to paint it would be a good time to have it rebuilt.

If you are really lucky it will pull off by hand. It should come off easily using a puller which can be rented at any rental shop.

Edited by - Mad4HiPos on 03/29/2007 10:01:28

Dave
    6S1757

• They can rebuild the Harmonic Balancer? That would be better than getting a new one as they are very expensive and hard to find. Any recommendations on how to locate such an expert?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Troy,

I have not used either, but here are their websites:

http://www.damperdudes.net/

http://www.damperdoctor.com/

Hope this helps!

Tom

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I've used damperdoctor. His prices are reasonable & has fast turnaround. 48 hrs IIRC

• Damper Doctor is about a mile from my home. Ask for John or Mike. They did my balancer when I restored my motor and trans this year and do a fine job. I have been in their shop many times and they have an inventory of cores also.

• B4 I send off, I need to get it removed! I got the right socket and even borrowed a puller. I can't get the large 15/16 nut loose at all. It feels like I'm about to break something. I squirted PG blaster in there and let it soak. Still won't budge. The whole balancer moves a bit when I try and loosen. I fear I will break something if I continue like this.

Any suggestions?

• You'll have to trust me on this, because it is an old racing trick:

Put a long breaker bar on the 15/16 bolt and then rotate it to where it is firmly against the frame rail on the driver's side. At that point you can install a remote starter on the solenoid and tap it gently. The torque of the starter will rotate the motor and break the bolt loose, then you can undo it from there. Be sure to pull the ignition bypass wire off the solenoid when you do this (the one next to the start wire).

• Except that I have all the electrical harnesses and accessories already off the car! Thanks for the tip, though. Any other thoughts?

Except that I have all the electrical harnesses and accessories already off the car! Thanks for the tip, though. Any other thoughts?

Troy, I have always used a very strong impact wrench to remove them from my 302 engines. I have never removed one from a 289 but it should be the same.

Hope this helps,

Gary

• Hey Troy,

I have both electric and air impact wrenches at my disposal and have removed my damper recently. Maybe I could cruise over later this week? We'd have to work around my family schedule though.

Lyle

• Lyle,

Nothing would please me more at this point in my frustrations with my current project. This weather screwed my progress up big! I was planning on painting in the bay this week during my week off. I guess I'll be shoveling snow instead.

Let me know what date/time works out for you if the offer is still good.

Troy

• We got Troy's balancer bolt off in less than a minute. The pullers I quickly grabbed and brought with weren't suitable, though. Troy could use a replacement Hipo fender protector as we used one to protect his radiator support and it got a little wrecked.

Lyle

Edited by - b9folk on 04/04/2007 10:37:15

• Thanks for all the help Lyle. I got the proper puller from O'Reily - They rent for free if you return it! Worked great, and it's off now. Thanks to everybody here for your help. Stay tuned as now the real fun begins!

Troy

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!