Replacement carpet fit and quality

• Official Post

It is always good to hear when a retailer steps up and takes care of customer problems correctly especially when they did not create the problem.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I will say that it looked great when I put it in. After a season of very light use, I will report that it isn't nearly as durable as original carpeting. Some areas are beginning to look a little worn already - especially the matching carpeted floor mats, but still acceptable for what I need it for, especially considering the price.

• I can see right through the carpet pile to the "backing". The toe pad is so big it overlaps the top of the tunnel and the heel pad is too far back. There are also a lot of fit issues, contours are not correct, which exacerbate the poor pile covering.

• I don't have anything to compare it to, since I never did this before, nor did I have original carpeting that came out of the car to compare it to, either. But for an average Joe (me), and driver/show car (not trailered concours), I think it will pass as good as anything else currently available. I did notice that the center hump seemed a bit wide at the top, but I don't know if I can attribute this to my car being a convertible?

• Mustang carpets still available. Sold as is. I'm not sure exactly which goes to which model of car. Maybe you can tell me? I am selling them for $25 each or $40 for two of them. Shipping is about $25-$30 for each set, since they are bulky and heavy. Please contact me for additional photos or questions. Below you will find a list of the colors I have available at this point. Only One Green has the fold-down FastBack carpets, see below. All carpets are in storage let me kown which one you are interested in and I'll pull them out and send pictures.

414 350 2590 weekend or nights

qlevitte@sbcglobal.net

Red

Blue-picture does not show correct color it's a darker blue.

Green

[Blocked Image: http://i33.tinypic.com/qx1a4j.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i37.tinypic.com/rkyd5l.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i37.tinypic.com/1zmfa0y.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i38.tinypic.com/a59snp.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i38.tinypic.com/2929zt0.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i35.tinypic.com/6rn3vr.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i34.tinypic.com/2zgucf7.jpg]

Q.

• Now im feeling Depressed,i have recieved my carpet set ACC from the Good people at NPD of which box is dated 2006 and it appeared to me that carpet set has been out of its box previously,now i am expecting the Worse as it will be anougher 6 months yet till carpet installation and not good when you live on the other side of the world.

Sounds to me like i might be sticking with the old carpet yet.

Thanks for all the interesting comments and updates.

Shane

• Well, as much as it hurts, it is time to carpet one more Mustang. This time it is a 68 coupe, and was curious if anyone has used the Raylon carpet now offered by ACC. Looking for your experience with the new product. Sure hate to start anew on the carpet issue!

• I've been curious about the carpet offered by Mustang Market. To the best of my knowledge they manufacture most everything they sell yet I've never seen any feedback on their carpeting. They have absolutely the best pony door panels of anyone out there (if you need black or parchment). You willing to take a chance and find out John?

http://www.mustangmarket.com

• I have read with interest this whole thread and must

add my .02....

I've been in the Mustang hobby since the mid 70's

and have noted the decline of most repro quality. There

for a while I made do with all original parts but, as

the years have RACED by....where have they gone???....,

that supply has dried up for the most part. If I

remember right, ACC has been THE carpet I've used in my

numerous restorations. My last 09 K, had it for over

15 years and I've rued the day I sold it ever since (that

was 10+ years ago!), was a dream when installing the carpet.

It literally fit like a glove and there was no lack of a thick,

lush, black weave. My present 64.5 07 K was done most of 10

years ago and that carpet was no worse in quality. My last

resto, and I think it WILL be my last, is an 09 A and I'm

now caught up in the crappy fitting, see-thru junk to which

everyone is alluding. What everyone has been going through

are now my problems and I don't want to end my restorations on

s REAL SOUR note! It sure has set my scheduled finish time

aback...and I want to get this 66 fb on the road and enjoy it

before I get too much older.

Keep up the pressure guys!

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Well, as much as it hurts, it is time to carpet one more Mustang. This time it is a 68 coupe, and was curious if anyone has used the Raylon carpet now offered by ACC. Looking for your experience with the new product. Sure hate to start anew on the carpet issue!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Saw the blog on VA Mustang, but no review from you. How did the installation go this time?

• Just finished installing a set of "mass backed" ACC carpet in a 68 GT/CS. The mass backed carpet is almost exactly three times the weight of the normal carpet. It is ALMOST always manufactured just for you since with few exceptions no one has any in stock. This may in some way account for the fact that it FITS FINE. It is an almost throw in project compared to the struggle we have all had with the ACC jute backed carpet that has been wadded up in a little box for who knows how long. The mass backed carpet comes in a box that is more than twice the size of the standard carpet because I suppose they cannot manage to wad it up in such a tight little ball. It is tough to trim - household scissors are worthless and I broke the pair that I attempted to use. The carpet is much more difficult to trim. This particular carpet was maroon, and was of the newer material that ACC now uses called RAYLON. It has a nice appearance, and does not seem to "fuzz' the way the older 80/20 was prone to do. It also does not have the "corn row" look of the old type of carpet, a look that many of us found objectionable. The heel and toe pad were spot on, and there was a little mark showing where to cut the hole for the shifter, a hole that must be correct or the entire project turns into a nightmare. The density of the carpet was not what I expected. Still a bit on the "bald" side and the backing is barely visible where the carpet curves over the rear tunnel. You have to look hard to see this, but it is there. My opinion is that this material is still not up to the standard of the Ford OEM carpet that came in your Mustang when new, but it is much better than the ACC product of just a year ago. For that matter, the RAYLON material without the mass backing may be good enough to use without the extra rubber bonded to it - have not used it yet. Few vendors are aware of this product, and those that are aware for the most part do not stock it. You can order it directly from ACC where the price is pretty steep, or you can probably get it from Virginia Mustang. I think that it is about an additional $50.00 charge for the mass backing when ordered from Virginia Mustang, but you will have to call and verify that price. In summation, I was far happier with this carpet than any in the recent past. No stress on this one, the area over the console fit like a glove, plenty of material in the area of the right kick panel area where ACC has been known to be so lacking in the past. The fuzziness associated with the past products sems to be a non issue now, the sparceness of the material is not something that I had anticipated. The color seems as good as it ever was, and only time will tell if they have overcome the fading problems associated with their past carpet. It was nice to not return several sets of carpet just to get one that was useable. All in all it is sure a big improvement from their past efforts and I commend them. The extra fifty dollars is a non issue for me, seems a bargain after fighting the wrinkles and ill fit of prior products. It is RAYLON and not an 80/20 loop but I cannot tell the difference. I hope that if any of you reading this are doing a carpet install now or in the immediate future you will post your appraisal of fit, color, fuzziness and density of the product you install.

Edited by - Murf on 12/07/2008 13:14:26

• Thanks for the review. A funny story - I used the 80/20, and less than a month after installing it (mass backed), I entered it into a judged show, and loss points for what the judges termed "worn carpet". It was as new, as I installed it. I'm still satisifed, as it was better than what was in there before, but yes, I agree that density of actual carpet material is lacking, as it also does on the ACC carpetted floor mats. Probably the best we're going to find right now, though. Definitely worth an extra $50. Easy to install. I used a craftsman all purpose cutting tool (Looks like a hand held scissors/hedge trimmer) and it worked very easy to trim with no problem.

• Thanks to both of you for your feedback on the carpet. As you know, I value your opinions.

-Brant

I just wanted to add that I just realized that this thread was started over 3 years ago!

Edited by - club 33 on 12/07/2008 15:34:09

Edited by - club 33 on 12/07/2008 15:34:42

• I wanted to stress that in my opinion the "RAYLON" material that ACC now uses is far superior to the previous 80/20. But that is just me - and I am not sure if ACC is still using the old product they called 80/20. Maybe someone from ACC will happen to catch this post and fill in the details for us. Anyone have a connection?

Edited by - Murf on 12/07/2008 16:13:00

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I wanted to stress that in my opinion the "RAYLON" material that ACC now uses is far superior to the previous 80/20. But that is just me - and I am not sure if ACC is still using the old product they called 80/20. Maybe someone from ACC will happen to catch this post and fill in the details for us. Anyone have a connection?

Edited by - Murf on 12/07/2008 16:13:00

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

John,

They only use Raylon (or Nylon for the 69-73 models.) We do not have a choice between 80/20 and Raylon. Before your carpet was ordered, I just double checked that it was definitely all Raylon instead of 80/20. BTW, we used to have fading problems with certain batches of the old 80/20 many years ago also. I don't believe you will find this happening with the Raylon.

Edited by - club 33 on 12/07/2008 17:07:12

• Anyone interested can see some photos of this carpet durong and after installation by going to the Virginia Mustang Supply website and logging on their blog. You can see in these images that the carpet is molded nicely and follows the contour of the original floor very well. A thin (1/4 ")layer of a material called Low-E was used as an underlayment in addition to the original Ford tar paper and "hair" material. Looking for a quiet and comfortable ride.

• Raylon - Isn't that just the term to describe the 80/20 Rayon/Nylon blend? So, 100% Raylon is still 80/20 Rayon/Nylon??

I checked ACC website, and they still only list the 80/20 blend.

Anybody know if there truly is a difference in this year's vs last year's carpet, other than a terminology difference?

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!