Damon's Kar

• Damon-What a beauty. Is that silversmoke gray? I have a 66 GT coupe not a K, that I drive every day. I have painted two of my mustangs, silversmoke gray, love it.

• Your car is one sweet looking ride! I like the red stripes. One of my Kars is Silver Frost (Code 4) and looks very much like your color.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Congratulations on a beautiful pair. A guy in Sweden

owns a hipo like yours that he bought from the Unser

family some years ago. It's equipped with a special 289

hipo racing engine with 4-bolted mains that the Unser

family put in the car.

/Bo

• Looked for it and an article in the Swedish car magazine

Bilsport was mentioned in the Classic Mustang Club of

Sweden's magazine Forum. Couldn't find the Bilsport

magazine though but it was dated 1995 and the guy

bought the car in California and shipped it over to Sweden.

The engine was a left over 4-bolt mains racing 289 HiPo that

one of the Unser guys owned and used during the restoration.

It was found in a wooden crate if I don't recall wrong.

The car was a silver smoke gray 66 GT HiPo.

/Bo

• Hi Damon,

I found an article in the Swedish Mustang club magazine Forum but

the color is called Siver Frost Metallic and not Silver Smoke

Gray. I can scan the article and send it to you but need your

email address. Please send me a personal email. Also, when reading the article (in Swedish) I realized I was wrong about the Unser

family owning the car. The owner in CA was a friend of Louie Unser and asked if he had an engine as the original hipo was missing and he came up with a racing 4-bolt main 289 hipo in a wooden crate.

This was back in 1989 so the Swedish owner has had the car for 6 years when the article was written.

/Bo

• It would be interesting to see pictures at some point of the engine.

I've heard "RUMORS" for years of 4 bolt main racing 289's - but never seen one - even in a personal talk with Carroll Shelby he said they didn't exist.

I have seen one photograph - in the early 80's - of a Tunnel Port 302 race engine from the '67-68 time frame - VERY RARE. It was a 302 block with 4 bolt mains.

It was the "father" of the BOSS302, but Ford and the race teams found out it wasn't as strong as they needed and wouldn't breathe well enough - hence the improved BOSS block with Cleveland heads.

I only got to see the picture after I called the guy a liar for telling me he had once owned a 4 bolt main small block Ford 289/302 that wasn't a BOSS. Unfortunately he slod the race car the engine was in in the later 70's.

Anyone else seen one or have documentation of this?

• I am going to see if I can locate the owner of the car.

The pictures in the Forum only shows the US license

plates and not Swedish which means it will be difficult

after 12 years.

/Bo

• When looking for a block back in the 80's I talked with an older gentleman from the Lansing area who owned several GT40 289 racing blocks. I believe he told me they were 4 bolt blocks. He was also selling at that time, a 65GT350 that had set some national record at the Bonneville Salt Flats, still lettered up, and never apart. He was asking some ridiculous price, like $12,500. Boy, should would like to turn back the clock!

• Got in contact with the owner of the car. The same

guy that bought it back in 1991 (not 1989 as I said).

He verified that the 289 racing engine in his car has

4-bolted main caps. Asked if he has some pictures but

no reply yet.

Damon, I sent you an email.

/Bo

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Looked for it and an article in the Swedish car magazine...

Got in contact with the owner of the car. The same guy that bought it back in 1991...verified that the 289 racing engine in his car has 4-bolted main caps. Asked if he has some pictures but no reply yet.

The engine was a left over 4-bolt mains racing 289 HiPo that one of the Unser guys owned and used during the restoration. It was found in a wooden crate if I don't recall wrong. The car was a silver smoke gray 66 GT HiPo.

/Bo

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Hey Bo, this is an interesting topic. Maybe the rest of this 4 bolt story should be placed under the <b>RESEARCH</b> section...

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!