K motor on SF Bay Area Craigslist?

• Saw this on CL this am; Please note I am NOT the seller. 1) to me the VIN looks bad -- could be a typo, and 2) a K motor in a dune buggy??? Oy! (If this CL post has been discussed on the forum before, my apologies. If so, let me know and I'll delete it.) Thanks!

Here's the ad in its entirety:

1966 Hi-Po 289 Rare "k" Code #6ROSK134008 w/aprox 10,000 original miles. Motor was was rescued from a wrecked '66 Mustang Fastback 2+2 with just over 6,000 miles. Motor was then stored from 1967 to 1981, when it was freshened up with bearings, rings, seals, etc. NO BORING WAS DONE! Installed in a kit car project which I purchased in 1995 with 2,842 miles. I removed motor at 3,800 miles to install it in a 'dune buggy project" which I must abandon for a "divorce project".

PLEASE CALL MARK AT 209-663-5817

$4,000 firm

• I just spoke with Mark and the engine has already been sold.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

2) a K motor in a dune buggy??? Oy!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Back in the 70's, you would find all kinds of motors in 'dune buggys' including 289CID Fords. I saw a pair of 289 2V equipped Hi-Jumper (brand name) rear engine sand rails going into Pismo Beach as I was leaving. Other odds and ends including 4 wheel drive 'Vette's', 426 hemi mid engine tube frame toys and a 454 Chev with the driver sitting in front of the engine in a cage over the front wheels and two pair of 15 by 12 inch paddle tires in the rear. All it takes is the urge, time, money and some type of insanity.

Jim

• I was able to contact Mark, and picked up the motor. The motor looks pretty clean I don't know about original 10k miles, but it is standard bore. Block is stamped I think the vin that was posted is incorrect. It has the original balancer, heads, intake, rods and crank. Everything is date coded from 5L to 6B. It is missing Carb, Fan, distributor, exhaust manifolds and fuel pump. Yes it was in a dune buggy when I pulled the motor out.

Tim

• You definitely made a good deal Tim.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!