Arvinode system reproduction

• To those of you who have noticed the idle quality please take note. Joe made three different sets of test muffler. The first set were made when he didn't have any Arvin experts contributing. The second and third sets were made with help from Jim Abbott. There will acutally be a fourth set made which will be tested sometime in the next two weeks. Joe Tonietoo has really gone the distance helping reproduce the system.

Here is the breakdown on the tests so far:

1. The first set were basically glasspacks designed to look like the Arvinode mufflers and resonators.

2. The second set were genuine Arvin style and we have labeled them set "A". They were built exactly as per Arvin shop drawings, but we did not have access to the original louver stamping dies. The muffler has the quarter wave tube opening facing to the rear as per plan and the resonator is as per plan.

3. The third set, "B", were based on the patent pulled by Ben Irwin where he drew the quarter wave tube opening facing to the front. They are identical in every respect to the "A" set with that exception. This is the set that are shown in the road test video on youtube.

4. The fourth set, "C", will have the internal louvers made from the original Arvin die patterns and will be identical to set "A". This set will be a true reproduction of the original in every respect. They will also have the rectangular mass dampener welded to the top.

I will post a couple of shots showing the undercarriage installation for those that would like to see them installed.

Joe is still working on the prices for the clamps and will put up info for everyone at some point soon.

• Will they have the piece of metal on top of the muffler and my original resonators were a bit smaller. Looking forward to seeing and hearing more, keep up the great work!

• The rectangular tube (aluminized) will be on top of the production muffler. That was supposed to be a combination stiffener and mass dampener. (Want to confirm that with Jim Abbott one more time.) The resonators were built to spec from the Arvin shop drawings.

• Dave thats good information, but if you look at the pictures I gave to Charles , the resonators from my Jan 65 k code (Dearborn) look much smaller than the one in the picture of the complete exhaust system. Any idea of projected cost of the system?????

• Herb,

You are correct about the size of the prototype #1 shown in the photos. The muffler and resonators we labeled as set 1 are pictured in the early posts. They were the first set that Joe made without the benefit of any Arvin drawings. They were not correct and were an attempt to try and get into the ballpark with the look and sizing based on what the Fairlane guys were trying.

We were able to obtain copies of the shop drawings and since then we have spent a lot of time getting the systems down to exact dimensions and fabrication as specified in the Arvin plans. The fourth (and last) set of mufflers and inlet pipes are due here in the next couple of days for testing. I will post pictures.

Please contact Waldron's Antique Exhaust for prices - I'm just the test mule. (Easy now, no jackass jokes:)

• Dave thanks for being the Mule. I would like to be a mule too!!! Not that I would try to get a discount on the system or anything!! Thanks for the update and all your hard work!!!

• Progress update on the prototyping:

Prototype 3 is the one I’ve stuck up on youtube. It is shown with the resonator in the photos below. I does not have the rectangular tube steel across the top.

Prototype 4 has been built as per plan and has the rectangular aluminized steel tube across the top as shown in the Arvin and Ford drawings. In the Arvin drawing you will see the bar is offset to an angle; this was changed in production to eliminate the offset and we believe it had to do with tunnel clearance. The purpose of the bar is still being researched, but we believe it to have been for both strengthening and mass dampening.

I have attached images for reference showing the original set that came off of Herb’s car, the muffler and resonator from prototype #3, and the final prototype #4. The internal components of this final set are exactly as drawn and that sound will be it!

Prototype 3 Muffler & Resonator

[Blocked Image: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5879/arvinodeprototype03ix1.jpg]

Prototype 3 Louvers

[Blocked Image: http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/4236/arvinodeprototype03resojz9.jpg]

Prototype 4 with Arvin Pattern Louvers as per Plan

[Blocked Image: http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/4672/p403th0.jpg]

The photo that started this whole project:

[Blocked Image: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/8744/oldmufflerextract1yi0.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/5098/mufflerextractqu7.jpg]

Prototype 4 and inlet pipes as per old shop drawings:

[Blocked Image: http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1585/p401qz1.jpg]

Quarter Wave Tube as per Ben Irwin's Patent. The bar on the bottom is not part of the workings of the tube, it is simply welded to the outside.

[Blocked Image: http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/710/qwtubega6.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://img169.imageshack.us/img169/1875/oldmufflerextract2av1.jpg]

The production units will be set up with the welded outlet and inlet pipes for the concours sets. The non-concours sets will be shipped in pieces. Early quotes for reproducing the hangers were prohibitively expense so Joe is working with another manufacturer now to get prices.

[Blocked Image: http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/3959/p402wk1.jpg]

All of the folks at Waldron's have been great to work with. They've chased UPS trucks, spent a lot of time on the phone and with email, and probably done a bit of cussing that they're too polite to mention. (I know I have - this is the sixth set of mufflers I've had on my car since this project started!) Joe wants me to point out that these are prototypes and that the production mufflers won't have any clamp marks or scratches from the press. He has done an amazing job of working with me on this and we've done all of the testing by mail between his shop in Michigan and my home in California. I think we're pretty close to being able to say that we -<b> meaning everyone who has helped and contributed </b>- have done it.

BTW: Merlyn you are right about the trumpets!

The trumpets on ebay are shown in the Ford Arvinode system illustration in Bob Mannel's book. (Bob has been a big help with this project.) Arvin made a production change - but we don't know when - and stopped welding on the turn-downs in favor of slip-on turn downs or the trumpet option. Jim Abbott said that they were available through the dealer - before the GT came out - and to install them required cutting the holes with a template and installing the trim rings. Based on that information and the Ford illustration it is possible that a non-GT car exists with and Arvinode and the trumpets.

Edited by - round2K on 04/12/2008 22:35:59

• I am proud that my picture was the one that started this whole project. If only I had know how rare the Arvinode system was I would have saved it after removal, or been more careful taking it off teh car. These pics look very good and I am anxious to have it find a home on my k code. Hats off to all those who have done so much with the research. Thanks!

• I had the pleasure of talking to Joe of Waldron Exhaust yesterday. He is a delightful man. Very informative and took time to explain the whole concept to reality of the Arvinode system. I am planning on acquiring the system to place back on my Kar!

• Joe told me he was working out details on some hangers and some other pieces but had at least 20 people intrested in the system. I do believe he said he should have pricing down this week and I would believe he would be able to ship very soon there after. Wonder if Dave has got his final teat unit????

• I am installing prototype 4 tomorrow morning and will upload pics. It is going to be put in place with original hangers and will be welded. I'll upload pics and some more video footage this weekend.

• Hello all,

Thank you for your interest and patience!

Once we receive the sound and fit results of the Proto IV system, we will finalize our prices and provide the information here as soon as possible.

Initially, we will have pricing for the system from the H pipe rearward, including intermediate pipes, mufflers, over-axle pipes and resonators with turn-downs. Eventually, we will add the brackets and hangers.

We are happy that we have been able to re-create this bit of Mustang history!

Joe Tonietto

Waldron's Antique Exhaust

• Prototype 4 is it, guys. The sound is much more refined and richer than the first versions. It is also the one made with the most attention to detail in the shop drawings. The fit was excellent and everyone that's heard it loves the sound. I'm at a 2,000+ car show tomorrow in Northern California and I'll let you know how the heads turn!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!