Opinions on this 66 Koup (Pictures)

• Hi all,

I'm still seriously considering buying back the Fastback that I used to own. I'm busy securing funds and getting my financing in order as I write this.

I stumbled up a '66 K-code coup with an automatic that looks very nice in pictures. You can see the car here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5920104…57626137995498/

(you'll likely need to cut n' paste into a browser as on a Windows system Outlook will likely launch)

Supposedly the car has all original sheet metal, engine and drive train. Additionally the seller claims all NOS parts were used in the restoration.

What grabbed my attention is the servo located on the driver side of the carburetor. Is that normal for an automatic? My four speed didn't have anything like that.

He's asking $39K which seems a bit high for a coup, although it does look nicely restored.

I'd appreciate your opinions and/or comments. I'm definitely back in the market for a Kar. Once my '72 240Z (on Ebay right now), sells I'll be getting very serious.

TIA

Edited by - landmissle on 02/26/2011 11:07:47

• Sorry! It should work now. You'll need to cut n' paste the whole link and be sure to include all the characters past the @ symbol.

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

<font face='Comic Sans MS'>Unfortunately the link isn't working.</font id='Comic Sans MS'>

[Blocked Image: http://s4.tinypic.com/30w2jyw_th.jpg]

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

• BEWARE!!!!

Car is potentially a re-body or has had extensive rust repair and floor work.

It has a regular axle plate on the floor - not the K code plate.

You can clearly see this in the photo of the rear axle.

• The servo on the carburetor is actually called a dash pot and is correct for a Hipo with automatic transmission. It was not used on Hipo 4 speed transmission cars.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• The lower control arms do not have jacking tabs. The tie rod ends are aftermarket and not NOS Ford parts. It has a replacement fuel pump rather than an original button top style. Interesting choke cable routing with the clip on the shock tower brace.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• Guys,

Thank you so much. You have the sharpest eyes. Just when I think I know something about K-codes, I'm completely humbled by the knowledge on this forum.

I really should just stick with the safe bet and buy back the fastback I used to own. I think I shall...

Best Regards,

Landmissle

• I asked the seller several questions via email, his responses are "quoted" below;

Nice car! I do have a few questions, please forgive me for the quantity..I'll not use complete sentences for reasons of conciseness;

Original engine with VIN # stamped? "Yes"

Original Autolite 4100 carb? "Yes #C62F F... A5W4 Tag on manifold reads 289 66 12 ...6-G 250 A."

Original transmission with VIN# stamped? Actually not sure if automatics had a VIN stamped on them..." No VIN # stamped, but trans # is C4OP-7D027-A"

Is that a factory Ford AM/FM radio or aftermarket? "Factory, very rare, came with the car."

Proper harmonic balancer and fan spacer? "Yes, see pix"

Original dual point distributer with no vacuum? "Yes, original, not replaced."

Do you have any original documentation; invoice, build sheets, etc? "No"

Factory GT? "Yes" Proper GT punch outs for fog light wiring in radiator support? "Yes, never been modified." Tail light illuminate when fog lights turned on? "Yes" Reinforcement plates in floor pans for exhaust hangers? "Yes"

I love that it has a buck tag. Can you provide me the date codes on the Warranty tag? See attached file

What of the history of the car that you can tell me; number of owners, etc?

Are you a private seller or dealer? "Private"

Sorry again for the numerous questions, but as potential cars are located further away, I have to ask more questions, I'm sure you can understand.

"I know how rare this car is...there are many made up GT and drive train replacement cars out there. This is not one of them. What's more, what I think makes this car unique, in the restoration, all the major original parts were used."

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Guys,

Thank you so much. You have the sharpest eyes. Just when I think I know something about K-codes, I'm completely humbled by the knowledge on this forum.

I really should just stick with the safe bet and buy back the fastback I used to own. I think I shall...

Best Regards,

Landmissle

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote><font color=maroon></font id=maroon>

Well?? Did you pull the trigger?

Steven

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!