Are correct parts really worth it?

• So I have my car and it has the vin stamped motor and transmission, but if some of the smaller parts are not exactly correct for the car, will it make that much of a difference? I just wonder if paying really high prices is worth it. I try to buy some NOS parts, but sometimes I don't pay attention to the date codes on some parts. Is that really going to hurt the price of the car if I try to sell it down the road? I don't mean this wrong, but sometimes it seems more of a bragging right. I brag about having the original numbers matching motor and trans, but really after that is it that big of a deal? I do understand the idea of concourse restoration, but if you are not looking for that, is it worth spending the bank for it?

Just a question, nothing more:)

• just an opinion:

I think the definition of "value" comes into play here. Would you get your money back in the sale of the car? Probably not. If you're into the car show scene and want a perfect example of what the car looked like when new, then it's worth it.

Although I'm personally not into the show scene, I certainly respect, and appreciate, those who do put in the time and dollars in their pursuit of perfection.

Z.

Edited by - zrayrichter on 11/09/2010 23:05:00

• And I understand correct heads, exhaust manifold and stuff like that. I guess I'm not into the shows either, but I also appreciate those who do the shows. Sometimes part of the fun is finding the parts and doing the research.

• People buy cars for different reasons, but it's probably fair to say that the K code now falls into the collector car categroy. If you own a collector car you will encounter higher prices for those parts that are unique to the car. It's those particular parts and their unique nature that make the car valuable and attractive to other collectors. The definition of expensive is all relative. There will be many on this site that can remember when we could buy cars for hundreds of dollar and then walk into Ford to buy the parts over the counter:)

• I do only local shows with my car because that is what I do enjoy and have little to no interest in competing/showing at national Mustang shows, although like many others here I do enjoy checking out the highly detailed and correct cars. My car is also VIN stamped on the block and tranny and all of the core parts (heads, manifolds, distributor, fan, tagged carb, balancer etc) are 100% correct and dated to the car. I lose absolutley no sleep over having a repop air cleaner, valve covers, alternator or other small parts. To get my car up to national show standard would be money not well spent to my thinking as I am not looking for that level of detail.

Jack

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

To get my car up to national show standard would be money not well spent to my thinking as I am not looking for that level of detail.

Jack

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I think that is where I'm getting with this car. Most the big parts are there and correct, but I don't think the money would be well spent on buying EVERY part that is NOS or correct for the car. It doesn't mean I wont buy some parts, but not all.

• i’ve thot long and hard deciding

what type of restoration to do on my K car.

1st, it won’t be an ‘nth degree concours’ one.

i won’t spend the rest of my life trying to be perfect

.....but, i do respect and admire those that do!!

my other projects include 3 more WWII jeeps,

a 1953 MG, and a Piper L4 WWII spotter airplane.

I figure that if each takes me 3 years,

i’ll be in my 70’s when their all done!

Then it’s time to enjoy them and just ‘tinker’ on something.

This K car will be driven for my enjoyment ;

mostly nice weather, but won’t be afraid to get it wet.

i do think it important not to do s.t. irreversible

to these very unique cars; i.e. chop them up

and make dragsters etc. out of them,

as i feel that s.t. in the future.....say 100 years from now,

they all could turn into ‘concours’ cars!

what is the most accurate count of how many

K cars are out there?

iowa

• Steve, it sounds like you have a car that is really close to 'all there'. As the K-cars increase in value. the smaller details start to come into play with some buyers, but not necessarily all. Fortunately, the cost of dealing with these things, at your discretion, may be more justifiable due to the rising value of the car. Still, outside of concours, few will ever appreciate the difference between a good repro part vs NOS. If it satisfies you and looks good, go with it. You can always change things later at your own pace. I am fortunate to have owned the 65 K-fb for 34 years. Now during a concours restoration, I appreciate the original parts that were rounded up back then. I'd love to go back to 1978 for a week to scrounge all the parts I can find. Oh, for a time machine....

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Steve, it sounds like you have a car that is really close to 'all there'. As the K-cars increase in value. the smaller details start to come into play with some buyers, but not necessarily all. Fortunately, the cost of dealing with these things, at your discretion, may be more justifiable due to the rising value of the car. Still, outside of concours, few will ever appreciate the difference between a good repro part vs NOS. If it satisfies you and looks good, go with it. You can always change things later at your own pace. I am fortunate to have owned the 65 K-fb for 34 years. Now during a concours restoration, I appreciate the original parts that were rounded up back then. I'd love to go back to 1978 for a week to scrounge all the parts I can find. Oh, for a time machine....

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I think this is where I sit with my car. With the passage of time I can change things out as needed and as money can afford. Maybe someday it will be as correct as I can get it, but that may be the second restoration

• Probably having ALL the correct and numbers-matching parts will make a difference in the car's value, especially if it is recognized by an "independent" body such as MCA or AACA. A Mustang that has earned MCA Gold Awards or the AACA Junior and Senior Awards represents a car with outstanding authenticity and details that will be valued appropriately in today's marketplace.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!