Door Jamb Switches

• My 65 Shelby, built around May 7th at San Jose has door jamb

switches with a metal ring around the button.

Other cars I have seen has a plastic ring. Which is correct

and if both were used in 65-66 when was the cutover date?

Was there any difference between plants?

Thanks,

/Bo

• Both my April '65 K and Sept '66 A have the metal ring / black button switches.

SORRY - '65 is Detroit, '66 is New Jersey

Edited by - RalphJr on 04/30/2009 14:22:23

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Both my April '65 K and Sept '66 A have the metal ring / black button switches.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Yes, but what assembly plant? Typically in '65, Dearborn/Metuchen used the metal ones and SJ used the plastic ones.

• Hi Bo, 5S114 and 5S545 both have plastic rings in period photos. I will ask Mark what 5S284 had since I'm sure they are original. Dave

Dave
    6S1757

• Thanks for the information. Paul also verified that his cars

have the plastic ones. Found one in my stuff from the restoration

in 1992 so it may have come off my car, just don't remember.

Will change them to plastic on my car when I found a second one.

/Bo

• This is a great question. Thanks for everyone's feedback. You know, I'm pretty sure that 5S162 (around Jan. '65-San Jose) had the metal ones. I know I put metal ones back in it when it was restored, but that was over 20 years ago.

In another original '65 GT350 interior shot that I have, I can see the switch, but I really cannot determine for sure if it is the white plastic or the metal bezel one. If I had to guess though, it looks like the plastic one.

-Brant

• Brant,

For your information, 5S162 was produced around March 24 at San Jose

and received at Shelby on March 29.

/Bo

Edited by - BoS on 05/01/2009 08:08:08

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

This is a great question. Thanks for everyone's feedback. You know, I'm pretty sure that 5S162 (around Jan. '65-San Jose) had the metal ones. I know I put metal ones back in it when it was restored, but that was over 20 years ago.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Brant: That time period at San Jose is one I've been extensively studying the past couple of years. I have found nothing but plastic door jamb switches used then.

• Thanks to both of you for the information. Bo - thanks for pointing out that date to me. You made me go look up the Ford VIN. Heck, I have not looked at it for so long that I did not know what I was talking about. I'm going to go look at the assembly date on the engine and stuff like that now. We did not even bother with that stuff back in the '80's.

Thanks again guys!

-Brant

• Just to add my two cents.... my San Jose K built July 13 1965 has plastic swithces which sorta backs up what Brant said. I am the second owner last 32 years so I believe that they should be original.(mine are white plastic). I'm just completing up a total ground restoration this year and just finished putting those switches in not too long ago.

• In the book Shelby Mustangs by Tom Corcoran, car no 5S266

which had about 26000 miles on the odometer appears to have

the metal ring as can be seen on a very close up photo.

This car is very close to mine as regards Shelby number

and probably as regards Ford vin as well.

Jeff Speegle said above that he has seen both on 65 cars

from San Jose. Maybe I shall wait with changing mine out

on 5S275.

/Bo

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!