Webers or Paxton?

• Redoing a 289 that currently is bored .030 over with a large cam (.530+ range as I recall), GT40 iron heads, roller rockers and a '66 GT350 high rise manifold and Holley 4bbl. We're leaving the cam but swapping over to aluminum 165cc AFR heads. The big question is should we go with a new reproduction Weber 4-carb 48IDA setup or Paxton SN60 supercharger. What would make better power with a big cam and those heads, and how hard is it to set up and tune Webers? Any thoughts would be great. We're trying to make big power while still maintaining small cubic inches and keeping everything vintage. Thanks,

-Greg

• If you are going with a blower setup, then get a cam designed for blower applications. There are a lot of good people out there, like Ed Curtis of Flowtech Induction. What ever you decide, talk to someone like Ed before you make a decision. In the end you will make more power and probably save money. If you have the smaller combustion chamber AFR 165 heads, then you are limited by boost, unless you are running dished blower pistons. Since the engine is already built with no power adders in mind, I would stick to the Weber setup as long as there are no tuning issues with them. Otherwise, you could stick with the dual highrise setup, long tube heads and custom cam. Then get a pro built Holley carb from one of the top builders. Talk to Ed. I forgot the carb guys name, but he uses a wet flow setup, and will get you an HP unit designed and built for your setup that will make maximum horsepower and have not driveablility issues.

• I did a GT-350 clone a couple years ago with a stock K code engine, and a new Inglese Weber set-up. Pure eye candy and excitement when you start the engine up. Supercharger may have more power, but it is no match for the sensory overload of weber set-up.

• There's nothing like an 8 pack of Weber IDA air horns to get the blood pumping. The FI set up looks trick, with the possible exception of the wires down the middle. It is probably a lot less to deal with when it comes to tuning. I had a 48 IDA Cobra set up once and by the time I got done buying dyno time, venturis, and jets I needed to take out a second mortgage:)

Edited by - round2K on 08/03/2008 17:29:46

• 289kford- that injection setup is something! Looks just like Webers, the price stings though, double what Webers are. So a new 48IDA Weber setup isn't exactly something I can pull out of the box, tune and drive? The car runs good now and we want to keep it reliable. Thanks,

-Greg

• I paid about $5000 for my new Weber set-up from inglese injection. Everything was brand new and set up based on my engine, rear gears and cam. They are extremly helpful and set the system up based on your specific engine, trans and gear combo.

More tuning than an electric choke Holley, but certainly not impossible. Opening the hood with Webers is hard to descibe. You will not regret it. If I build another car for myself, it WILL have the same IDA setup.

• There is enough history now with the Webers that I would imagine they can get them pretty close when you order them. I've sent the Inglese set up on a couple of cars and they ran beautifully, even idled at low rpm in an automatic. Back in the day if you found a Weber set up it was likely to be from something that was never meant to be on the street, so the venturis were always way too big for regular driving. I bought an early Cobra set up with the 48 IDAs for $500 in '79 and it was just beautiful after it was dialed in, but it wouldn't idle until we fooled around with it quite a bit and changed venturi sizes twice. You open the hood on one and people can't help but stare.

• as others have noted, there is no subsitute for the eye appeal of Webber's.

When I was considering going that way I had several conversations with a guy who had tried both the Webber's and a vintage Paxton on his GT-350 in a vintage racer environment. His verdict was the Webbers were nice to look at, but if raw horsepower was your goal, go with the Paxton. Plus the Paxton will work better with a wider variety of cams. That said, he is, or was, still using the Webers on his racer (vintage racing isn't just about maximum horsepower).

Z. Ray

Edited by - zrayrichter on 08/05/2008 14:48:33

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

289kford- that injection setup is something! Looks just like Webers, the price stings though, double what Webers are. So a new 48IDA Weber setup isn't exactly something I can pull out of the box, tune and drive? The car runs good now and we want to keep it reliable. Thanks,

-Greg

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

if you have to ask that question, do not get Webers. No matter what the vendors tell you about the "plug & play" of their product, Webers will likely take a substantial amount of tuning, preferably on a dyno with wideband a/f capability.

Also, after reading your original post more closely, I see you do not want to change out the cam currently installed. Webers will not tolerate a cam with much overlap. With such a cam they will end up spewing much of the intake charge back out the venturies and run like sh*t.

Z. Ray.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

...........If you have the smaller combustion chamber AFR 165 heads, then you are limited by boost, unless you are running dished blower pistons. ........

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The stock Hi-Po heads & the smaller combustion chamber AFR 165 heads will both be fine with stock Hi-Po compression pistons (10:1) and the vintage Paxton supercharger combo. The vintage Paxton will only produce 6 or 7 lbs. of boost at 6500 rpm, even with a smaller pulley. Now the modern Paxton superchargers are different story.

I had a 48 IDA Cobra set up once and by the time I got done buying dyno time, venturis, and jets I needed to take out a second mortgage:)

Edited by - round2K on 08/03/2008 17:29:46

listen to this man.

Z. Ray

Edited by - zrayrichter on 08/05/2008 14:49:56

• Go for the Paxton!!! I'm in the process of putting a paxton on my 67 GT350. Craig Conley in CA is the Paxton guru for vintage Shelby's/Mustangs.

Z.Ray is right, about 6-8 pounds of boost so nothing radical. I have some vintage articles of a 66 GT350 being tested with a Paxton Vs standard if interested.

• Now is when I wish I had a little video of my Weber fed Hi-po 289...

The sound, the smell, the visual. I REALLY have to buy another set-up for myself. Thanks for bringing this subject up.

• Great discussion. Sounds like the makings for a mag test article...Webers vs. Paxton vs. Dynatekracing FI setup.

Dave
    6S1757

• Greg,

I've been wrestling with similar issues. I built my motor with lower compression and a Holman-Moody race cam with the intent of adding a vintage Paxton. I changed my mind due to cost for a vintage blower set-up and went stock 715 LeMans and Cobra intake.

Like anyone else, I agree you can't beat the look of a set of Webers, period!! Cost and driveability have always been the pitfalls. However, all that has recently changed. Weber introduced a new line of carbs for the street driver in mind. They recommend the 44-IDF's for under 400 (real) hp or the 48-IDA's for over 400 hp. Unless you're realistically pushing 500+ hp I'd consider the 44's hands down. They're good from idle to about 6500 rpm's - perfect for street use.

Here's the link:

http://www.webercarbsdirect.com/product_p/v8-105.htm

I'm getting ready to sell of all my carb related parts to fund the 44-IDF's. Another issue is hood clearance. The 44's are shorter and will fit under the stock Shelby hoods with no issues. They offer a short set of '48's but I don't think they're available yet.

Keep us posted on your progress and what you're final decision is.

Regards,

Mark

• good luck with your new direction. That 44 IDF price is pretty tempting, I wish the 48's weren't another grand. Let us know how it goes. BTW, the regular 48 IDA's will also fit under the stock Shelby hood, even with the air cleaners.

Z. Ray

Edited by - zrayrichter on 08/18/2008 12:57:51

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!