Considering new tires

• I'm considering running 14x6 styled steel wheels ('65 version)and getting new tires. I found a great deal on some wheels, so I might as well.

As for tires, will 205/70SR14 size work OK? I found these in a white wall, which I need. They didn't have white wall in 195s, unless I went to a 75 profile, which I think is too tall for my taste. Will the 205/70SR14 fit OK and still be accurate for speedo and gearing?

Thanks for your help,

Troy

• according to the goodyear site, using the integrity tire, the 195-75 is taller by 1/10"-- 25.5 vs 25.4, but the tread width has the 205-70 at over a 1/2" wider-- 5.5 vs 6.1. you need to check the specs for the tires you are considering. a 1/10 isn't noticed but the wider tread may be better for looks (my .02) and traction.

Edited by - 289kford on 03/11/2008 09:36:53

• I'm running Diamondback dual redlines (205/75R14's) on 14x6 rims. Not exactly stock for a '66...there are no rubbing issues...and the main thing...I really like the look. I suppose it comes down to how stock you want the tires to look. The closest metric equivalent to original look a little too pizza cutter to me.

Kevin

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I'm considering running 14x6 styled steel wheels ('65 version)and getting new tires. I found a great deal on some wheels, so I might as well.

As for tires, will 205/70SR14 size work OK? I found these in a white wall, which I need. They didn't have white wall in 195s, unless I went to a 75 profile, which I think is too tall for my taste. Will the 205/70SR14 fit OK and still be accurate for speedo and gearing?

Thanks for your help,

Troy

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I really like the 195/70 BFG Traction T/A's. They are much better tire for both wet & dry grip than the raised letter BFG radial T/A.

p.s. just changed to a 16" wheel so I could run the Goodyear GS-D3 F1 tire. It's the best tire I've ever used.

Z. Ray

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Merlyn,

Yea, I looked at your pics again. Are those bias ply??

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

No, they are Diamondback radials.

• I'm also considering new dual-redline radials. I've purchased a set of new Drake 14x5 original size styled steel wheels and I've talked to Diamondback about their dual-redlines. I want the radial to look as close to the original 6.95x14 bias-ply as possible. Looks like the DB II 195/75 is very close 25.5 height 4.8 width versus the original 25.3 x 4.3.

• I'm going to go with the Yokohoma's. Made in the USA means alot to me, especially on this car. Thanks for all your help. I think the 205 70 14s will look great!

Troy

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!