Questions on casting dates vs. build dates

• If all the blocks, heads, intakes, etc were cast at the same foundry, then they would have needed to be transported to the assembly plant to build the cars correct? In the case of the build date on the block --does that mean the day the engine was fully assembled?

I have a block that is one day apart from cast to build and another that is two days. Those dates seem way too close to be cast in one place then be transported to another and built. I have seen some that are a several days and heard of others that are weeks?

I wonder if the engines were assembled during the last phase of the build. Maybe that is why some were turned around so quick?

What about casting date of other parts of the engine (intake, heads) seems most originals are just a few to several days apart but I also heard of original engines with parts several weeks apart.

• All 289 HiPo engines were assembled at the SAME location as the major pieces were cast: The Ford Cleveland Foundry and Engine Plant. It is possible that the block casting dates and final assembly dates were fairly close on <i>regular</i> 289 2V and 4V engines, and <i>less</i> likely for 289 High Performance engines.

Once the 289 engines were built and tested at Cleveland, they were crated in heavy duty containers, and shipped by rail cars to the various Ford and Mercury assembly plants as needed. Considering how many Ford and Mercury car lines used the venerable Ford Small Block, there was a HUGE production schedule at Cleveland to keep up with demand for <i>standard</i> 289 V-8 engines. It reached "critical mass" and maxed out (mainly due to the overwhelming demand for Mustang V-8 power), and Ford had to add additional capacity by tooling up the Windsor Foundry in 1966 to supplement the Cleveland Plant production capacity...Since the 289 High Performance represented such a small percentage of total 289 production, emphasis was not placed on HiPo production, hence the wider spread of date codes we see when examining an original 289 HiPo engine.

• The only thing that matters is that no casting date code on any part of the engine is after the engine's assembly date code. As to how far in advance, it could literally be on the same day or any day prior. Within a couple weeks is nice, but could be anything. Engine parts could be delayed for any number of reasons (repair, for example) before showing up in the parts bins.

The engine assembly date could can also be after the car's door tag date code. The latter is a scheduled date and cars could easily miss the scheduled date. On my 63 Fairlane, the engine assembly date code and the car's date code were the same.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

The engine assembly date could can also be after the car's door tag date code. The latter is a scheduled date and cars could easily miss the scheduled date. On my 63 Fairlane, the engine assembly date code and the car's date code were the same.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

That's interesting, Bob. The assembly date on my engine is also the same date as the scheduled build date, "15B", which also happens to be today's date!

Edited by - SixT5HiPo on 02/15/2011 20:22:50

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

That's interesting, Bob. The assembly date on my engine is also the same date as the scheduled build date, "B15", which also happens to be today's date!

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

If that's the case, your car most likely was not actually built on the 15th.

• "The engine assembly date could can also be after the car's door tag date code. The latter is a scheduled date and cars could easily miss the scheduled date."

I saw that with my car as well. My engine assembly date was 5A14 but the car's scheduled build date was 11A per the door tag.

Jack

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

That's interesting, Bob. The assembly date on my engine is also the same date as the scheduled build date, "15B", which also happens to be today's date!

If that's the case, your car most likely was not actually built on the 15th.

Exactly right...The invoice date is March 31, 1965. I'm guessing the car was built late February/early March. By the time the dealer got it and invoiced it, it was almost April!

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!