Rare 66 K-Code? Need help!

• Anyone have any idea how many 66 GT K-Code convertibles were built with the automatic transmission? Bought an odd ball recently and can't figure out how many are out there. Its wimbeldon white with a black power top and emberglo and parchment deluxe pony interior too. Seems to be a unique car - just need an idea of it's rarity and value before I start any type of restoration - been tough to research.. I havent found another one quite like it.

Thanks for any help

• No assembly line records exist as to specific builds like you are looking for. Ford destroyed all those records for cars built earlier than 1967 and any "official" numbers you find are marketing and sales figures. You can speculate, I've seen claims of 20 to 200 AT HP 66 Mustangs (excluding the 850 or there abouts GT350H Shelbys) and there are many hearsay claims of the special C4 transmisions found in non-HP cars (Falcons and Fairlanes included), so rare - sure, special - sure, valuable - sort of, restorable - you bet.

Jim

PS: There's a 66 GT Fastback with a C4 AT in my garage.

• It's a strange color combination. If you're looking to flip it, you may or may not have a hard time selling it. As far as putting restoration $$ into it, it depends on what your final goal is. Give us some more information about your intentions.

• Well I purchased as a project to do with my son. It wasn't until I really started researching it that I realized it might deserve better than what I'm capable of doing myself.

It seems to be really unique, been fun to research. I was lucky that it was a car built at the Metuchen plant so it still has the original "buck" tag on the inner fender. That has told me alot about it and everything so far is correct. Someone along the way replaced the Rally Pac with one from 65 and added an AC unit. The AC is an original one so I wonder if that may have been a dealer installed option or something?

• The only thing I haven't for yet is a build sheet. I has heard that they were typically stuffed under the rear seat. I don't know if this is accurate or not, or if they were even used on cars that have the "buck" tag? Everything else other than the rally pac and and AC are absolutely correct. I've been into mustangs my whole life and I've never seen another convertible like this. I was very lucky to find it. I've heard that the Pre 67 records were destroyed, I guess I was just wondering if anyone had any more information on the matter. Spent weeks on the Internet and got alot of bad information I guess. Last I was told, there were no other 66 convertible K-code GT's with the auto and pony interior documented. Just got me a little excited I guess.

Anyone take a realistic guess on it's value? Its a solid original car (other than the floor pan). Obviously needs the usual resto work but not any extensive metal work like I've seen on some of them.

• Sorry about all the damn typos - replying from my phone.

I did have another question though too ..

With the black top on a white car, should the GT stripe on the bottom of the car be red or black? It was red but the previous owner painted over it. (Didn't want to pay extra imagine that) I can still see the red striping around the door jams. Just seems that black would be more appropriate but I don't know? Along those same lines does anyone know what the color code is for the original GT striping or is that a decal? Like I Said - I still have alot to learn. Never owned a convertible before or a K code before or an actual GT before....

Big step up from my T Code fastback and C Code coupe for me. I really don't want to bastardize this car, I know it deserves better.

• NJ cars usually have a build sheet taped to the main wiring harness behind the instrument cluster.

GT stripes (were decals), were usually color-coordinated to the interior, so I can see where a red stripe might have been original. The car might have had a white top originally, are you sure it was black?

The A/C was either dealer or previous-owner installed. I would remove it during the restoration process and fix the holes in the radiator support and firewall. Rally-pac is an easy fix to the '66 style.

Hard to give a value, you didn't say if it was running and driving.

• That's all very helpful - thank you

The buck tag says "TOP S Clear" which I understand to mean black power top with clear (no tint) windows.

The car runs and drives as of last year when I parked it. Engine sounds good, I didnt hear any scary noises or anything and the drivetrain is solid. Needs floors, paint and interior wok mainly. The tops even still in good shape. Rails, fenders and quarters are solid and original. The very bottoms of the rear quarters are starting to bubble a little though. The car has been a southern car it's whole life so it's way better than most - just all dried up. The lady I bought it from was the third owner and drove it regularly as recently as three years ago. I wouldn't call it road worthy now but i hope that gives you an idea

• Hi Chad I just finished a 66 k code fastback. Im gathering from your post that you might be in the Roswell Ga. area, I am here as well, I have owned and restored many classic stangs and I might be able to help or offer advice. Feel free to give me a call 678-521-3388.

• Charles is correct about the wiring harness location for build sheets, but it's not the only location. I also have build sheets on file that were found under carpet, seats - and one that was glued to the backside of a door panel.

I've been blogging my build sheet decoding efforts here: http://mustangcodex.blogspot.com/ If you find yours, and you don't mind sharing it, I'd like to add it to my collection. Maybe it can extend my research, and help me to decode some of the more difficult ones.

Pete

• Can anyone confirm if the GT striping should be red or emberglo? It's hard to tell which it originally was with the overspray in the jams. I still have the original boot for the top and it is emberglo as well so I'm kind of digging the idea that the stripe would match. I could see either color working on the car I'd just like to know for sure which one it was.

• Yes, there's a wealth of information to be had from the build sheet. I've made good progress on deciphering the codes, but I still have a good bit to go. Every build sheet I acquire helps to solve a little bit more of the puzzle.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Yes, there's a wealth of information to be had from the build sheet. I've made good progress on deciphering the codes, but I still have a good bit to go. Every build sheet I acquire helps to solve a little bit more of the puzzle.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Of course it helps to have a car that has not been modified or restored when "decoding" any build sheet found inside the car. Mine's un-restored and original, and besides two build sheets, I have the original invoice to help confirm the options. Reading and decoding the build sheet makes more sense when cross checked with an original dealer invoice.

I found the first build sheet tucked under a seat spring, and the other one wrapped to the dash wiring harness. (Typical Metuchen locations) It's been a while, but another member and I compared our Metuchen build sheets side by side. His car is a 1966, and mine is a 1965. Some of "codes" were the same for both years, but there were quite a few significant differences in the '65 vs '66 codes that is interesting/confusing.

• SixT5HiPo,

I'd be interested in seeing your build sheet, too. Having an original car and factory invoice can be helpful in the decoding process, but for my efforts so far I haven't had the luxury of them. I've had to rely on sites like this one, parts catalogs, assembly manuals, books and any other location where I could find a scrap of info.

Here's a picture of my Sprint build sheet http://mustangcodex.blogspot.com/2010/09/my-bro…uild-sheet.html You can click on it to enlarge so you can read some of the headings easier.

The Springs, Shocks, and Axle codes are proving to be some of the most difficult to decode. As I acquire more build sheets, I begin to see what alpha/numerical codes were used for a particular item; say Springs. I then attempt to research how many springs were offered, and under what circumstances, i.e. convertible, special handling package, etc. I then try to use the context of the rest of the build sheet's info to see if I can place the right spring (and code) with the right car. As I collect additional build sheet samples, and verify their code info, I begin to see if I was right or wrong in my code selection, and modify things accordingly.

• I purchased a San Jose K conv a few years ago tagged with a Whimbleton White Exterior and Emberglow/ Parchment interior, Automatic Transmission. The top and stripes were once black. The previous owner changed out the interior and GT stripes to red and changed the top to white. I'm not sure which top and stripe combination is correct, but the car looks great with the color combination. I'm still debating on whether changing it back is worth the investment.

First I've heard of a similar car existing. Best of luck with your restoration. Nice to hear that one on one father/son time still exists in today's hectic world.

Gary

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!