Vehicle Warranty Number

• From reading the Marti web site, I gather that the records on our 64.5-66 cars are no longer around. However, given the level of enthusiasm for Mustangs, I wonder if someone may have gathered data on this group of cars. I find it hard to believe that a technician pressed a "delete" button on a computer and they disappeared. These were probably paper records.

Is there a reliable database of 64.5-66 cars regarding when they were manufactured? Would the Vehicle Warranty Number on the plate tell when a car actually came off the line, since the scheduled build date may not have been an actual build date?

All these numbers; it's so confusing...

• Again, there are no Ford Motor Company assembly line records for Mustangs built in 1966 and earlier. The records were destroyed. This was based on a decision made to get the company computerized. The only Ford information about car statistics was from marketing and sales. That's it.

However, Jim Smart and Jim Haskell made a data base and published it in book form - "Mustang Production Guide, In Search of Mustangs" (vol 1 64-66, vol 2 67-73). It is based on informatiuon they got from many sources over several years. It is also out of print. This is the best source and even then, a lot of their conclusions are speculations based on what they tabulated.

Jim

• Is there a member who has a copy who could look up some numbers for me? Someone out there must have a copy. I'd like to pinpoint my assembly line dates to check against my door plate. From what I've read on the Forum, actual assembly could have been weeks ahead of or behind the door plate date, which was 01Q (March 1, 1965). I haven't checked the old newspaper records yet to see if 65 was a strike year, which could have affected the line, etc.

Thanks in advance!

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Is there a reliable database of 64.5-66 cars regarding when they were manufactured? <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Nope

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Would the Vehicle Warranty Number on the plate tell when a car actually came off the line, since the scheduled build date may not have been an actual build date?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

We know that the date on the door tag could be off, typically, by three weeks in either (earlier or later) direction.

The greatest gap (though very unusual) I've heard about was on a later car and it was off by 4 months

Best IMHO to use the stamping dates on the unibody sheet metal and use other examples (same plant) to get an idea of when it might have been built. Not easy nor a quick answer

Edited by - J_Speegle on 04/04/2010 21:45:06

• "Best IMHO to use the stamping dates on the unibody sheet metal and use other examples (same plant) to get an idea of when it might have been built."

Where on the unibody would these stampings be?

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Where on the unibody would these stampings be?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

On pretty much every piece of sheet metal throughout the car.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!