1965 alternator markings

• I searched but did not see a topic on this. The question is, did factory original 1965 alternators come with ink stampings. Mercury stated in a 1966 TSB that all 1966 cars would have color ink stampings on the alternators. I know that service replacement alternators of 1966 and later also had the stampings for 1965 applications. The base number might be 10300 (with pulley) or 10346 (without pulley). But, the question is, when the cars left the factory in 1965 with their original alternators, did they carry colored ink stampings? Does anyone have a picture of a known-to-be-original, factory-installed 65 alternator on a 65 car with an original ink stamping? Every 65 I have come across that is low-mileage and unmolested, I have not found an ink stamping.

• Would two 64 dated ones help?

Don't know what care this one came from (FoMoCo marked Nov 64)guess it could be a very early service replacement

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/Paint%20Marks/Nov64Altstamp.jpg]

This one from 5F07A270685 - one of Mike's original cars

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/Paint%20Marks/5F07A270685altmrkdate.jpg]

This one from 5F08A727557 - one of Mike's original cars

[Blocked Image: http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f49/firetrainer/Paint%20Marks/5F08A727557altmark.jpg]

Might have more - hope this helps

• Lots on ink stampings, but were they put on by the factory when the alternators were produced? That is the question. The service replacements from 1966 and on were, both those with pulleys (10300) and those without (10346). This would include those marked for 1965. But, for those originals that were on the 1965 cars as they left the factory, were they stamped? That is the question. Mercury says they started stamping them for the 1966 cars. In my years of goig through junkyards, I never found an original 65 alternator stamped. Not saying they were or were not. Really trying to find a case of a absolutely known example of a factory original 65 alternator (not a service replacement for 65) with a stamping.

• Bob,

The alternators on all 3 of my unrestored 65's have there original alternators on them.On 2 of them you can still read the date stamps.All 3 had Auto light stamps.All 3 are unquestionably original to the cars.

Mike

• From all the information I've seen on the '65s (Late '65) I am convinced that the originals were only stamped on the bottom, with a date stamp on the top, so thats what I did with mine.

• Bob,

I have some slightly better pictures ,but no great ones.I can email them to you if you like.

The date stamp on my Aug 64 coupe is located right next to the Autolite stamp.On my June 65 vert it is on the back of the case.The autolite stamp is on the bottom of the alternator when mounted on a V8 or top on a 6 banger.

• Since we're discussing details - the date stamp appears to have been placed on the rear casting before the alternator was even assembled. So it appears to have more to do with the casting and making of that once section rather than the finished alternator - since we can find NOS rear housing with the date on them

Just sharing

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Jeff,

Probably the reason DeadNutsOn stamp their alternator twice.

Were you their advisor? Just bought an alternator for my 65.

/Bo

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

I share information with allot of the places. Not sure if that is the reason but I'm pretty sure I've provide some to Jack - his choice was the final one of course

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!