interesting code on hipo block

• I have a service replacement hipo block in my Shelby. On the flat on the front of the engine where the assembly date normally is, my block has the code C5Z. The stamping looks original and has been there since before I got the block in 1982 - long before anyone started messing with these blocks. Does anyone have any idea what the code might mean? It doesn't fit the standard date code pattern of number/letter/number.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

It doesn't fit the standard date code pattern of number/letter/number.

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Have never seen that, but since it's a service replacement part, I would not expect it to be 100% identical to a factory installed engine.

• I went back to the motor and found that's the code is actually 5C5Z. The casting date is 5B4. This new date (5C5) indicates that it was assembled as a replacement engine in March 65. I don't know if it was a long block or a complete motor. I'm guessing the Z means it's a service part, not one built for a car.

• That's interesting - can you expand on that? The digits are all in line as if they were all done at the same time. What's it mean when you say "it's an inspector code"? Thanks for the post.

• Next time you buy underware, look for inspector 26 or some other number on a slip of paper tucked inside somewhere. It's nothing more than an identifier assigned to an inspector. Ford used a stamped letter into the block so as not to get a number confused with the date's number and to last a while.

Jim

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

I have a service replacement hipo block in my Shelby.<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

Just curious...how do you know it is a service replacement block?

-Brant

• Lightning does strike twice. A friend is selling his 65 "A" code hardtop and the assembly stamp on the boss near the distributor is 'something' C26Z. Two of us looked at the first digit but it's off the edge. It looks like a 5 but we will have to pull the starter to see what the casting date code is. However, it has the elusive "Z" inspector.

Jim

• I also have a service replacement block. C40E-6015F dated 4L19.

it has:

D11 molded inside the block.

4M5B 4 on the oil pan flange.- the last 4 is several spaces from the 4M5B

C3 in another location - can't remember where

10 near the clutch E Bar

22 near the timing Chain cover

What do all these number indicate.

Thanks

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!