Carter Fuel Pump ID

• Here are some pics of the fuel pump off of my Kar, it was leaking so its been replaced with a Carter M6588 for now. This was a Hipo service replacement reman pump purchased from Ford in the mid 80's. Theres no spring under the button, the only stamping left is an S. Any ideas?

[Blocked Image: http://i40.tinypic.com/2ev3okg.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i44.tinypic.com/2mnhfr8.jpg]

[Blocked Image: http://i39.tinypic.com/mj22wo.jpg]

Edited by - Mu5tanggt on 06/29/2009 22:07:03

• 7BOA is my best guess as to what is stamped on the other side. A is stamped differently than the other letters. Also looks like there might be a 7 next to the S.

• <BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>

Here are some pics of the fuel pump off of my Kar, it was leaking so its been replaced with a Carter M6588 for now. This was a Hipo service replacement reman pump purchased from Ford in the mid 80's. Theres no spring under the button, the only stamping left is an S. Any ideas?

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana" size=2 id=quote>

The fact that this is a reman pump probably explains the missing spring under the button. What number is stamped in the under side of the arm? Does the lower spring contact the arm directly (OE style) or does it contact a second smaller lever (M6588 style)?

Dave
    6S1757

• Official Post

Keep in mind that this lever with the extra external spring lever cannot be used with the internal spring. The place where the spring normally sits has a dimple to locate the internal spring. This lever is slotted where the dimple was to locate the external spring lever.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• I have two of these Carter O-1719. One I took off of a 66 289 Fairlane and is stamped with a 66 date. The other I think is from a 65. The bottom half of one is slightly longer than the other. Both are marked O-1719. Both have the same shaft number as listed above.

• So I'm assuming this is not a Hipo pump. If I get it rebuilt and use it for looks will it pump sufficient fuel. Kar is driven and see's occasional drag racing (1,2 times a year). Thanks for all the info!

• The arm for a HiPo pump, with the seat for the external spring, is stamped 177-226. Non-HiPo pumps do not have the seat and are stamped 177-220. For some reason it seems it was common rebuilding practice to remove the 177-226 arm from a HiPo pump and replace it with a standard 177-220 arm and the extra lever for an external spring and removing the internal spring as Fred mentions.

O-1719 is just the casting number for the pump body which is the same for all pumps this style. The Carter number stamped on the side of the mounting flange will ID the pump. For 1966 standard pumps are stamped 4193S, HiPo is stamped 4201S.

Dave
    6S1757

• A correct pump casting for the 65, 65 and 67 vintage will be CARbureTER and not CARTER.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!