Question for Bob Mannel??

• I have tried Emailing the address shown in your book, and it comes back undeliverable.

Anyway: On section 5 page 42 it is stated that on Aprox.7/09/1965 that Ford switched to an internal condensor for the alternator.

It also states that an external condensor could be used in conjunction with the internal one.

It looks to me that my car with a scheduled build date of July 27, 1965 technicly does not need to have an external condensor to be correct.

Could you please elaborate?? Thanks!

• Condensers in charging circuits were typically used for radio noise suppression. Ford approached this with a condenser on the voltage regulator, one at the alternator, and the grounding spring in the front wheel hub covers. In the case of the hipo, they did not try to use a suppression spark plug wire, they stuck to solid metal wires for performance. That was actually a step in the opposite direction because metal wires will typically produce a lot of radio noise. If Bob's book notes an internal condenser in the alternators it would seem like that would be the place for you to start. In your shoes, I would want to know the part number for the alternator and a way to identify that particular condenser.

Edited by - round2K on 03/17/2009 06:52:36

• The documentation is on page J-67. It is a Ford TSB #22, Article 429 dated 9-17-65. For those without my book, it states in part. "This change was originally scheduled for all standard 1966 cars and trucks, but was in production for the balance of 1965 vehicles built after the week of July 9, 1965." MCA should accept this information for late 1965 Mustangs (including HiPos) with internal capacitors.

At the time I published the book, CompuServe was a solid company. Then AOL stuck a floppy in every mail box in the country for free. AOL bought CompuServe and swore it would maintain CompuServe. Then came CompuServe 2000, which actually ran on AOLs network under CS. CompuServe Classic continued, but no further updates were under development for the front end (v4.0.2). So, I had to abandon my CompuServe email account to keep up with the times. I can be reached at bobmannel@charter.net.

• Let's keep in mind that "after the week of July 9, 1965" would leave a very small window open. We're talking a very low number of very late '65 cars. Regardless, I agree that the doc would be enough to persuade a comment in the rulebook.

• Thanks guys!! I didn't realize that there were TSBs listed in the book, this is very valuable info!!

It goes on to say:(in part) Vehicles built after July 9th, 1965 a new rear housing was made to acomodate the internal capacitor, and that the connector on the wireing will not be used when the internal capacitor is used.

This all said I feel that with this TSB info and the fact that my Kar has a scheduled build date of July 27 1965 that I will not install the condensor/capacitor.

Do we by chance know anything about the condensor/capacitor that is used on the voltage regulator??

• Charles, Do you have a copy of Bob's book so you can make a copy of the TSB for consideration in the MCA rule book? If not I can make one and send it to you..

• In regards to spark plug wires, here is some info from the Ford parts book. I have a Ford parts book that has not been updated since 1970 and has a great many part numbers and references that are not in the final version of 1975. It clearly shows that a C3OZ 12259 K linen core spark plug wire was used on all 289 and 260 cars including 65 and 66 Hipo Mustangs and 65 Fairlanes. This is a radio resistance wire set for factory radio equipped cars. The C4OZ 12259 C steel core wires are also listed for the Hipo Mustangs and Fairlanes as that would have been on cars without radios. The radio resistance set flies in the face of the accepted norm that all Hipos got steel core wires with or without a radio. The 1975 final edition of the Ford parts book only lists the steel core wires and maybe that is why everybody thinks that the steel core wires were all that was used. Most people have never seen an early non updated version of this parts book so it would make sense that the common thought would be for steel core wires. It is also listed this same way in the 1965 bound Ford parts book which Gene also has a copy of. Charles may want to chime in on this one as I would certainly want to know the MCA take on this information.

-Fred-

65 Koupe early San Jose Phoenician Yellow 4 speed
    66 GT Koupe Dearborn Blue 4 speed
    66 KGT San Jose fastback pony interior Silver Frost 4 speed
    64 Falcon sedan delivery 289 4 speed
    65 Ranchero 289 4 speed
    66 Corvette roadster 427/425 4 speed

• For Shelby 65's the radio wasn't a factory option

but many owners got them installed by dealers.

Probably the resistance wires were included as well.

Have seen several pictures from 1965 magazine articles

showing the resistance wires.

What's the rules as regards radio, resistance wires and

outside rear view mirrors like Talbot Jr. for Shelby 65's.

/Bo

• It makes sense that the non-metallic plug wires would have been paired up with the radio suppression components if they were trying to civilize the cars with radios.

• I talked to B. Perkins about this in the past. The 'SX' wires became the hi-po standard for restorations a long time ago, not sure how it got started, probably from the MPC like Fred suggests. But, also as Fred suggests, there just aren't many good unrestored K code examples to use as a reference.

It would be an interesting topic to do some research on.

• See page J-62. Ford's TSB 5-4-64, Section 12001, Article #19 states in part, "Linen or rayon core wires are scheduled for 1965 to replace steel core wires in the 289-4V and 427-8V high performance engines. Steel core wires will be standard on the 427-4V only and R.P.O. (regular production option) on the other high performance packages."

Keep in mind that Ford regularly sent cars out of the factory with RPOs without the customer asking for them. So, many 65 HiPos could have been delivered with the RPO steel core wires.

The steel core wires have nothing to do with the radio. This was the cold war era and the government did not want ignition wires interferring with radio and TV broadcasts of civil defense instructions. (These were the days we actually practiced getting under our desks at school and covering our heads for a nuclear attack.)

All the 1963-64 Fairlanes came with steel core wires, and almost every one of them had radios.

There is more on wires in the Restoration forum.

Participate now!

Don’t have an account yet? Register yourself now and be a part of our community!